how do I sync the time signature of Ableton with the patch?! Help!

Y’all are demonstrating why I run VCVRack standalone & don’t mess with hosting and sync very much. I mean I’ve done Live hosting Rack Pro but mostly I just fart around in standalone Rack because it feels immediate and I have the right level of control over where a patch is going.

Maybe I’m dumb but hard to understand your way of writing

And your brain is probably much healthier than mine because of that :sweat_smile: I still love running Rack solo but I haven’t been able to quit the DAW life for song structuring + mixing. My sync settings are in my template so it’s pretty immediate now but they definitely scratch different itches :+1:

I meant that it’s easier & more fun to not worry about external sync.

1 Like

That’s also why I’ve stopped thinking in musical terms (like time signatures) since working in Rack. Especially if you’re trying out polyrhythms or polymeters for example. In Rack it’s easy to do, but if you try make sense of it using conventional music theory (like a DAWs timeline grid) it becomes a glorious mess. The same applies to pitch.

I suppose this is one of the reasons that makes modular so powerful.

Im sorry im Colombian! English is not my first language hahaha

I think this is the way to go! I will try it out and let you know if it works!

I might suggest that if you have a Rack Pro you can use amazing sequencers & capture their output as Ableton Live MIDI clips so you can edit them, apply grooves.

That is a very interesting Idea. maybe I could have like a dummy clip with the midi information of the beginning of the bar to sync the sequences and have another midi track for a click that is just straight 1/8 or 1/16 note clip with ablutions groove to use as a metronome.

Yes😉

I’ve just made a one bar midi clip of 16th notes & use the gate from MIDI-CV as a clock, too.

I didn’t know that

Have made a rewind on Amiga ‘Octamed sound studio’,so MIDI messages are a little more clear now