How are you connecting/using VCV with an iPad?

How are you connecting/using vcv with an iPad?

Im looking for people who know a bit about this topic, as I’m curious what options exist and how they work/ what setup looks like.

I don’t see much in the way of threads on this topic so I thought I’d keep it open-ended.

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

This is rather broad, but to frame things a bit:

• VCV Rack is not available for iOS (leaving aside a certain fork, which would be a separate topic appropriate to a different forum, because forks are not Rack per se).
  • I assume we’re not bringing hardware EuroRack/modular/synths into the picture.

What is the OS of the machine you’re running VCV Rack on?

• Mac
  • Linux
  • Windows

In what way are you wanting to use the iPad?

• wirelessly or wired?
  • as a source of audio
  • as a destination for audio
  • as a source of MIDI or Open Sound Control
  • as a destination for MIDI or Open Sound Control

Each scenario and OS can require a different setup and different peripheral devices/cables/connectors.

no forks. im using mac

I’m currently most interested in using iPad drum sequencer app with solid clock connection. I’ve tried a bunch of different setups but I’m curious what you would recommend.

Side note: I am interested in being able to connect my solution to a friends op-z for live performances. I figure that means ill have to be clock master though vcv and connect via some sort of usb/midi connection.

I have an iPad Pro 12.9" integrated into my studio MIDI network. Most of the time I used wired MIDI, but sometimes Bluetooth. I have a lot of iOS apps that work well over MIDI back into Rack. MIDI is always an adventure though. I use an IConnect MIDI lightning connection adapter to go from the iPad to my primary interface for MIDI and iPad audiao jack out to the interface audio. I’m always losing my recipe for MIDI back to my Windows PC. I’ve been able to do everything I wanted to do with the iPad, but sometimes it takes a lot of work. “Solid clock” connections can be a challenge.

I do need to mention that my MIDI network includes smart MIDI routers and switches so is very atypical.

Actually, my iConnect MIDI goes into my studio USB network and then to the PC rather than to my external audio/MIDI interface.

one recent attempt was to run vcv instance in daw, and use its routing and connections to drive other stuff. i used ableton link but was still experiencing some weirdness where starting my daw timeline would act like it was waiting to start on the downbeat of ableton link but never be close or consistent (not a simple input output latency type of issue)

other issues entail my daw using CPU, and knobs not being smooth/snapping back. haven’t tried a large patch this way but I doubt it would compare with regular vcv instance.

also crashing. lol. losing hope.

Unfortunately my iPad 3 is too old (iOS v9.3.6), no more C.M. app is compatible, except old Liine Lemur.

On my rig, VCV Rack v2.4.1 runs on Windows 10 (22H2) machine.

found something that works well!

will have to use this instead of the beautiful clocked module as I have not found a way to keep the clocked module in sync without using resets, which link module puts out quite often, and without resetting through the clocked module to the patch. ( a problem when dividing the clock.)

You might very well have the best luck achieving a good clocking connection, by letting Rack be the clock master in the whole setup.

Thanks lars! I have seen this post of yours, but was having issues with this on the iPad side. Links synced transport is making connection between the two easier to do, and easier to fix. Link doesn’t jitter in the same way as it’s almost external. This is providing better results for me.

I foresee a problem could happen if combining a bunch of gear with having different offsets to manage… but I’ll keep everyone posted as I use this setup.

Could be a dead end, I’ll know when I try to link with a friend, but this seems the least invasive to the rack workflow…