House of Stalys Modules: v1.2.1 [New modules]

Stalys Modules

Announce

I’m happy to deliver you today 7 new modules! as long as some bug fixes and major performance improvements. All my modules are open-source (GPLv3-or-later).

Modules

VC Dual Neuron

VC Dual Neuron

This module is heavily inspired by Nonlinear Circuits Double Neuron module.

The module is divided into three parts. On the left are two VC Neurons circuits, and on the right the original Combiner circuit.

Each Neuron is comprised of three lanes: One input, which is multiplied (four-quadrant multiplier). After multiplication, a VC offset is applied. The three inputs are summed and run into a half-wave rectifier and comparator. The comparator’s bipolar output is summed with the rectified signal. SENSE adds a positive DC signal to the mix, while RESPONSE affects the magnitude of the comparator’s output.

The Combiner circuit consists of two lanes (with four-quadrant multiplication and vc offset), normalized to each Neuron’s output. The output of the two lanes runs into several logic modules:

• A Difference Rectifier (DIFFRECT), which is another creative mixer: the two lanes are summed. Then the negative mix is subtracted from the positive mix. If the result is positive, it goes out the DIFFRECT+ output, otherwise, it goes out the DIFFRECT- output.
  • A MAX circuit that outputs the max value out of the two lanes.
  • A SUM output that adds the two lanes.
  • A DIFF output that substracts the bottom lane from the top lane.
  • A MIN circuit that outputs the min value out of the two lanes.

This might seem overwhelming but just experiment: feed it with LFOs, envelopes, sequences, oscillators, or even itself and watch the complex waveforms it generates. You can use just some parts of it and it becomes a mixer/ring-modulator/waveshaper/logic module.

What’s new?

• Improved performances
  • Bugfix on sense and response inputs

Analog Shift Register

ASR

This module is an 8 step shift register: At each incoming CLOCK trigger, all output voltages are shifted down one position and the value of IN is sampled into the first output.

A typical use would be to generate canon melodies.

8 Comparator

8 Comparator

This module is what its name indicates: 8 VC comparators: It outputs a gate whenever the input signal is superior to the value signal (defaults to 0).

Plug two different LFOs to see complex rhythms emerge.

8 Multiplier

8 Multiplier

This module is 8 four-quadrant multipliers or ring-modulators (with attenuversion of the Carrier). A 5V voltage is normalized to the Carrier input.

If no cable is plugged into an output, it is summed to the next outputs.

8 Sum

8 Sum

This module is an 8 three inputs unity mixer.

If no cable is plugged into an output, it is summed to the next outputs.

8 Diff

8 Diff

This module is an 8 three inputs subtracter.

8 Not

8 Not

This module is 8 boolean Not operators: they invert the gates they receive as inputs.

8 Abs

8 Abs

This module inverses the negative portion of any input voltage.

14 Likes

Availability ? Open-source or … ?

1 Like

Small Tip: Have a look into the library :wink:

1 Like

It’s open-source (GPL-v3 or later)

1 Like

Awesome! Glad to see the additional features added. Looking forward to experimenting with this later.

4 Likes

Thanks to you, your modules are really inspiring!

2 Likes

At the time I left the message it wasn’t there.

Thanks, I got it from github this morning. No problem with the build, I’ll play with the module later this afternoon.

1 Like

V1.0.1 just got released, with minor tweaks to the interface (fixing alignments and overlapping objects):

2 Likes

Hi @stalysmusic - this is not mandatory according to #announcements current rules but…to edit the first post and adding a link to https://library.vcvrack.com/Stalys/VCDualNeuron is going to be helpful :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, it’s done :slight_smile:

Ah, ok. I’m sorry :sunglasses:

1 Like

I just released v1.2.1 with 7 new modules!

Original Post edited with full details

6 Likes

Sorry for an easy questioni, but i couldn’t find an instruction how to install it. This is what i did

2004  unzip StalysVCVPlugin-main.zip
 2005  mv StalysVCVPlugin-main /home/user/.Rack/plugins-v1/
 2006  cd /home/user/.Rack/plugins-v1/
 2007  cd StalysVCVPlugin-main/
 2008  make

and i am getting this error message: 

make: *** No rule to make target '../../plugin.mk'.  Stop.

I used “find” command for plugin.mk and couldn’t find it. Thanks in advance.

I guess i figured it out, but it sure isn’t info that easy to find for a newbie.

Perhaps i see it wrong, but it might be an idea to add such info in the README or INSTALL file? Anyway, sorry for the noise. Shall i remove this comment, as it is announcements section and not support?

Thanks for pointing out! Actually you can clone it wherever you want, just make sure to have RACK_DIR exported with the path you’ve extracted RackSDK.

For instance, RACK_DIR=/home/user/Rack make.

You can follow those instructions for more details, notably on the dependencies and SDK installation.

I’ll take some time ASAP to add this to the repo’s README.md.