Handling Duplicate Forum Questions

and so does arguing about how support should be handled. it’s a tradeoff that ultimately ends with more time as the answers become more prominent instead of being lost in chattel.

then you keep pointing to it - simply saying “it’s already answered so I’m done answering” is not a good way to promote a FAQ, a manual, nor any canonical information source.

This suggests that you are not aware of the magnitude of my tech support “load”. The time I’ve spent in this thread is negligible to what I’m talking about.

Okay, here’s the issue: I do this already. What is the result? People ask more questions about related issues the moment I answer a question, virtually without fail. One answer will immediately being two feature requests, one scolding about my software architecture design style, two clarifying questions about the link I posted, one statement “well I didn’t understand the FAQ”, and one or two completely unrelated questions (hijacking their own thread). This gives me a very unhealthy picture about VCV users and makes me question why I get up in the morning each day.

This is an undebatable issue, we are through discussing this. I will no longer answer questions about VCV Rack if they have been asked before. What we are discussing now is hammering out the details of the implicatations in order to have the least negative effect on VCV users and customers.

1 Like

If you need another Moderator to take care of all these questions on the forum i’d be happy to help.
Andrew, you work a lot, and it must be hard for you to bear will all the repeated questions(even me as a user gets slightly tired about it sometimes).
I understand these users must give you a bad impression but most of us try our best to respect your work and make the community grow in the best way possible :wink:
This, is why you get up everyday, for all these artists/users who respect and support you, and the amazing platform that rack is.

1 Like

I’d be happy to help, i read every post on the forum, even if you don’t need a mod right now, i’ll still do my best to help :slight_smile:

Best regards , a user who supports your work, and deeply thanks you for everything

1 Like

There will always be duplicate questions, as mentioned the human element makes sure of that. There are enough experienced users here to not need the developer involved in most threads. I think it’s great that Andrew is involved but perhaps let the community help itself and just respond to things that you think pertinent, like development/vision etc.

I would advise caution in this topic though. No offence to anyone intended but developers generally are terrible at interacting with users (or perhaps that is the other way around) and the short sharp terse read-the-manual-attitude really grates with someone who is trying to learn the basics. I haven’t seen that very much here but I have been on the receiving end of a load of experienced people when asking a seemingly simple question and it’s not inclusive or encouraging. That obviously simple question could be due to not reading documentation or searching the forum but it could also be due to someone not knowing the terminology to use to search with.

While speaking about being inclusive it’s worth mentioning that perhaps a user is visually impaired and uses a screenreader for text. Searching threads for what you need is very long-winded like this and would help immensely with a link or basic answer.

I’m not trying to have a dig at anyone but I’ve seen a lot of user forums become hostile places to people who didn’t read or understand a particular piece of text and I would not like to see this forum go in that direction. Surely we want to attract people and make them feel welcome, many of them will be coming from a lifetime of using a daw so the concepts are very different in VCV.

I just don’t want this place to end up like the Arch Linux forum.

2 Likes

As a former tech support guy, I totally get it. Sounds bizarre, but the customer and developer shouldn’t interact directly about matters of support at all. Even we didn’t get in touch with the devs, we’d have to contact our next line of support, who then could assist us further, and if absolutely necessary, submit an RTA to the development team, which I’m sure has a similar layered structure. That’s a global scale operation, though, but the point is pretty much the same.
It’s two jobs that aren’t compatible. Yes, you can give the best factual answer, much better than your support staff, but it will almost always be an answer you’ve given before.
I don’t see how you can do what you do, and be the smiling guy with the “of course I’m gonna help you to find out how you can get Bridge properly connected” attitude. You gotta be the mad scientist, coding at 3am with no pants. Someone else will have to get into the mindset of smiling and assisting with the same f***ing question for the 10th time this week.

A user/customer does not want to see “search before asking”, or having a thread closed with a link to a generic article. That comes across as really dismissive and even rude, although it’s probably the most efficient. You just have to accept that old questions will be asked over and over. Nobody reads the sticky. And yes, if economy allows it, hire some help. It looks like it’s at least one full time position as of today, and that’s just what I see, I don’t look for it.
Personalized support is what works. It’s inclusive. Might be a worthwile investment long term, if it helps to include all kinds of musicians, not just the nerds.

6 Likes