Getting started - graphics issues?

That might be the case. I disabled the code in svgDraw() in Svg.cpp so that no SVG will bed drawn, and I gut a different result than the OP: the modules got thin frames.

On the other hand, when I escape from FramebufferWidget::draw() I get the same result as the OP:

FramebufferWidget::draw(const DrawArgs& args) {
	// Draw directly if bypassed or already drawing in a framebuffer
	if (bypassed || args.fb) {
		Widget::draw(args);
		return;
	}
    // escaping here with return;
    // ... truncated code that does the framebuffering
}

But in the end, this doesnā€™t help the OP anyway.

No, indeed it doesnt help the OP.

I think it definitely points to a graphics driver issue.

2 Likes

If a new video card is the solution here, what is a minimal upgrade I can go for? I have no knowledge of the video card market these days, and I would be upgrading primarily to fix this issue. Any advice?

Almost anything? Certainly a decent ā€œbudgetā€ GPU is fine. I play a lot of games, which keeps me updating the video cards. Depending if you are looling for new or usedā€¦ If used, look at all the Tomā€™s guides from like 4 years ago and look for something on that list? The cheapest on their current list is close to $200. Iā€™m sure itā€™s fine for VCV Rack, but itā€™s still a lot of money. Hereā€™s the current guide: Best Graphics Cards 2022 - Top Gaming GPUs for the Money | Tom's Hardware

1 Like

It depends on the screen resolution and on the frame rate. I run a Geforce GT 710 on a 3440 x 1440 screen at 50 Hz. When I flip the rack to fullscreen, the GPU runs at 100%.

well, yeah, good point. If you have a lot of pixels on your screen you better had some beef to back it up. I run at 3840X2160, since thatā€™s the default of the ā€œcheapā€ LG 4k monitor I have (and will have for the next 8 years). I have an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER, whatever that is (came with the computer).

My laptop came with an Intel Iris GPU and it works fine with the rack on 1920 x 1080 pixels.

Hi, I am aware this is an old thread, but I was taken here as I also experienced the black unusable screen as described initially, using an NVIDIA geforce 620 GPU on windows 7. I managed to get a visible screen by shifting the color adaption in the NVIDIA system control app from 0 to 350%. Maybe this helps someone with a similar issue.