Geodesics - entropia

ENTROPIA – new free sequencer in the GEODESICS collection

YOUTUBE VIDEO:

Once again, I had the great pleasure to team up with Marc Boulé from Impromtu Modular. We are happy to release ENTROPIA – Thermodynamic microstate sequencer.

ENTROPIA can be a melodic sequencer, a controllable random source, a sequenced series of VCAs, and every possible mix of each.

ENTROPIA is an 8-step sequencer with two values per step, and a probability to select one of the two values. The resulting sequence is achieved by switching or adding the two values. Both values can be a sequence of voltages, a range controlled random source, or an external source.

Available for free for VCV Rack, in every good plugin manager near you.

As always with Geodesics, the user manual is mandatory, we would like to believe that it is a good time investment, therefore we put a special effort to make it easy to read and understand.

The patch of the video is available here, as an overview of what the module can do. We hope you will find more creative ways to use it than us! ENTROPIA.vcv (106.9 KB)

GEODESICS is and will stay a community effort. Many thanks to our dear beta testers who enhanced the module with great suggestions, intensive testing and user manual re-write: Omri Cohen, Latif Fital, Espen Storo and Lukas Scheigenpflug.

User manual available here:

What’s new in 0.6.5 – for the seasoned GEODESICS users:

The website now proposes a download section with separated user manuals for each module, there is also a product page for each module with visuals and video tutorials from Omri Cohen:

24 Likes

just read the manual, what an amazing concept you got going on here with the probability between 2 values and the ability to use an external source. i feel like you would need dozens of modules to emulate the functionality of this one module. you guys really need to turn this stuff into hardware and make a lot of people outside the vcv world very happy :blush:

really an amazing module,
well done :+1:

thank you very much

Thank you so much for all the amazing work :raised_hands:t2:. Such an incredible contribution to the community!

Entropia is pretty interesting. About to stream it here:

edit: stream finished. I’m doing a bit of offline experimentation of using ions with entropia. interesting.

Great work again @pyer ! Mixing two sequencers with probability is something I’ve already used in the past, it’s great to see a module dedicated to that.

One question pops up in my mind: I would expect a gate output that would basically be a OR between the certain clock and the uncertain clock (when it randomly triggers).
Furthermore, I don’t see a control for the probability of the uncertain clock. Am I missing something?

Thanks again for this great work!

2 Likes

Holy cow, that looks awesome! Thanks guys!

1 Like

Hi Jean Sébastien,

Sorry for the late reply:

The certain/uncertain clock works simpler than that:

• Any trigger recieved from the certain input will advance the sequence +1 step, as expected
  • Any trigger recieved from the uncertain input will advance the sequence +random number of steps

It is yours to decice which trigger will be certain or uncertain, by choosing the input to feed.

They are both active at the same time by default (you can bypass each with the button), you can send all trigs in the certain input and sometime have a bit of randomness by sending a trig into the uncertain input

If you want a OR operation, it’s something you have to do with another module, using the trigger you are sending into both clock inputs.

I you want a probability setting I recommand sending a normal clock into a bernouilli gate, and plug the 2 outputs into ENTROPIA’s 2 clock inputs, this way you can set the probability of having an uncertain trigger with the bernouilli knob.

1 Like

Thank you for your explanation, this makes sense! Sorry if I didn’t understand it right first.
Yep, I’ve been using the Bernouilli gates for controlling the probabilities :slight_smile:
Cheers and thank you for your work!

2 Likes

Love at first sight - and first use! I really enjoy using all of these Geodesics modules. Thank you so much for your efforts and generosity!

3 Likes

Hey,

I had a question: how do I turn on the sequencer? I’m new to VCV rack, and I’ve gone through the manual as well, but nowhere does it state how to start the sequencer? I’ve tried clicking through all buttons, but to no avail. I’ve connected the Out to an audio source, but nothing is playing. What am I doing wrong?

Did you connect a clock to the “Certain Clock” input? Without a clock it won’t step through the sequence.

Also, is the “Run” light on? It’s on the bottom LHS of the panel. If not, click on the “Run” button next the light to start it.

Yes, you will neen external clock for this one Also I I would recommand Omri’s video about it, there is no better way to learn it :slight_smile:

Thank you, I tried using this tutorial but I don’t see Omri using a clock input. Am I missing something? What would you recommend as a good clock module?

Yes the run light is on. I haven’t used a clock module, let me try that. Thank you.

On the first video shot it’s the 1st module on the top left.

You will need an external clock for most sequencers, it is also highly recommended to patch all your play and reset jacks to this clock, it will allows you to start, stop, change the tempo of the whole scene with just one module, also very useful for midi sync.

a clock can be a as simple as square lfo LFO, but the one that you will see the most around is Impromptu Clocked and his brother Clk. Also consider the one from JW modules and teh one from ZZC

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for your response, I shall try this!