[FIXED] Following the tutorial - on opening Rack, my .vcvplugin plugin file disappears, folder is created, but module not shown in Library browser even after restarts

Yes, think that may be it cheers. It shows as a warning rather than error so didn’t spot it. Also I was looking for the plugin name and it was the module name I should have searched.

It seems this is the issue “Manifest contains module MyModule but it is not defined in plugin”. Will retrace my steps through the tutorial, may have skipped a bit. Would be helpful if the sections were numbered as it’s easy to miss a bit when scrolling.

The other thing was I’m used to log files that just build and build over time so tend to go straight to the end to find errors, but this one seems to be regenerated on launch so I’ll have to remember that!

Yes, success!

I think I’m just used to particular ways steps are documented so the commented out lines

p->addModel(modelMyModule) 

in plugin.cpp and

extern Model* modelMyModule;  

in plugin.hpp

weren’t at all obvious to me that I needed to uncomment them to get this working. Still, I’ve joined the plugin club now so I suppose I’d better build something. I have got an idea for a MIDI style module, but I have to do my actual paid job work first so no idea when it’ll happen.

Thanks for all your help guys!

2 Likes

I found when I was making modules it used part of my brain that I would normally use for work. Now that I’m not making modules I think I’m doing my job better. Of course I made like 30 of them and a few (unpopular ones) took a lot of work. So my estimate is 10 hours per week for two years. In retrospect, among other things I might have got the balance wrong :wink:

2 Likes

In my case, working on modules drains some brain power I usually use for making music.

2 Likes