Favourite filters?

Hello

I just started out with VCV Rack and thought adding a few extra filters on top of the stock one wouldn’t be too bad of an idea.

When looking into the VCV Library I was overwhelmed by the big range of filters offered.

Instead of just randomly picking some, I thought to get some advice.

So, which one are your favorite VCV Filters?

My filter usage would include:

• Freq splitting: very steep filters that cut out everything under or above a certain frequency.
  • EQ’ing
  • Character: shaping the sound, subtractive synthesis style

Thanks!

1 Like

I like PEQ by Bogaudio, it’s a three-channel parametric EQ with many CV inputs. It should fit your requirements at least in part.

2 Likes

Vult of course but the squinky labs one is good. Also like the liquid filter but there are quite a few I’m forgetting or haven’t got around to trying yet.

2 Likes

For me, typically:

Vult.

MindMeld EQMaster. VCV Parametra.

Vult. Audible Instruments Liquid Filter. Lindenberg Neo.

4 Likes

Vult and Lindenberg need to be in your library. Also recommend Stairway from Squinky Labs, and Feline by Valley. And lots more… just make a list, most of them are pretty great. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And don’t forget the Blamsoft filter! other than that, I think you got all mine. And yes, my filters range from the very characterful (Stairway) to the bizarre (Formants and Growler).

5 Likes

almost any of the filters in VCV is good for some uses,

you could try the Bogaudio FFB, Nano modules Font, Alright Devices Zzzorb, Oxidlab Entferner LE and (all the above mentioned ones) and …

there are really lots of good filters and they are free, but the paid Vult modules are worth every penny for shure.

2 Likes

MindMeld MixMaster mixers have a HPF and LPF on every track which are good for basic mix filtering (the filters are in the track settings menu which you access by right-clicking on the track label.)

EQ Master is a 24 track 4 band parametric EQ and spectrum analyser which connects to MixMaster inserts using poly cables - giving you EQ on every track, group and Aux return.

2 Likes

The eq master, with global bypass and spectrum, is the best and most effective way of doing eq work I’ve ever experienced.

6 Likes

If you want to do frequency splitting / crossover theres this frequency band splitter

For subtractive synthesis the vult filters offer great analog modelling sound with low cpu usage (especially the commercial ones - Freak from the compacts package is my favourite filter module since it contains all of them), Lindenberg Research filters also sound great but need a bit more cpu and are mostly monophonic only and Squinky Stairway is the most versatile among the free ones.
3 Likes

Many favorites by far are the commercial Vult filters. The only filters I know of that can be demonstrated this way without intervention:

This uses the Freak.

5 Likes

Vult Vortex. Yummy!

3 Likes