Eventide Misha

This is pretty cool! The wild thing is that I look at what it does, & think I can replicate the interestsing things about it in existing modules. But a clone would be cool too!

8 Likes

ā€œi could make one in a day, but it would be great is someone would spend months making a dedicated cloneā€ :wink:

1 Like

All a tad Eventideā€™s New Clothes. I donā€™t understand how anyone could justify the ridiculous price (you can buy an H9 Max in some places for less) or size of the thing. The most underpowered chip could handle the code required.

It does seem very different and very interesting I must say. Perhaps particularly for us folks with no music theory :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you have VCV Host - there is a VST plugin that does exactly this

Iā€™m using it and it works fine

4 Likes

LOL man, first off, Iā€™ve always made it clear Iā€™m an enthusiastic user with no ambition to be a developer. Programming is hard work, I do it all day. Second, this is a fancy quantizer with a neat user interface, not a heavy lift for dsp programming.

I am spoiled in that rack devs HAVE implemented my suggestions before. I started thinking that I can just ask for stuff & developers say ā€œsure!ā€ They can say ā€œno!ā€ too!

5 Likes

Oh, np. And sorry for the snark.

Again, nothing at all wrong with your post, and if ppl are going to make modules anyway they might as well make things ppl want.

I maybe disagree with how much work it is to make a module. Yes, there may not be any super exotic algorithms in this one (I donā€™t know), but still.

To make ā€œgoodā€ module you need to figure out what it will do, layout and make a panel and revise it. If you write tests you will need to write a significant number of test. If you are using some pieces that are new to you (like a quantizer) you will need to write the new stuff and write tests for it. There will probably be some time spent staring at the computer screen wondering ā€œwhy doesnā€™t this workā€? You will need to write a manual. You will need to get some human testers to help out, and you will need to change your functionality to address issues they find. You will need decent tooltips for all controls and connections. You will probably need to write some custom UI widgets, unless you happen to already some one that are just right. You will need to consider and implement for each control ā€œshould this be linear, exponential, audio taper, or something elseā€?

Even for a simple module, I think it would take me at least a month of calendar time to do it. Of course thatā€™s not ā€œfull timeā€ work, but Iā€™m assuming most devs are like me that they already have a full time job that is not making VCV modules.

this was my first thought when I saw the misha vid

Iā€™d just do it but it does involve a lot of steps beyond the idea: I have no problem checking out source from github and building it locally, but beyond that the detail work involved in turning it into a usable module is more than I have patience for. Because (again) I literally spend 40 hours a week doing fiddly crap like that.

They have 1) a quantizer 2) a bunch of buttons you can push to transpose 3) a little sequencer

2 Likes

Sounds like well over a month to me. But probably there are devs who can do it much faster.

Looking through the whole review video thereā€™s a lot going on there. Most of it I wouldnā€™t even WANT crammed into a single Rack module.

But I like the idea of the performance buttons, because they are so playable. Not so much to get a easily repeatable sequence, but just for messing around and getting cool results, that youā€™re guiding somewhat.

1 Like

How did you get MIDI out from VCV Host? Can you detail your setup to using Instascale in VCV Rack? I canā€™t figure out how to do it without routing the MIDI through a DAW (Ableton in my case).

Thanks!

Host-CV, Host-CC, and Host-Gate (MIDI output expanders)

If a VST plugin in a Host, Host-FX, or Host-XL module generates MIDI output (such as a sequencer or audio-to-pitch detector), you can place one of these expanders on its right to convert the VST pluginā€™s MIDI output to CV and gates in Rack.

These modules function identically to VCV MIDI-CV, MIDI-CC, and MIDI-Gate except instead of selecting a hardware MIDI input, it ā€œstealsā€ MIDI generated by the Host module touching its left side. If your VST plugin generates multiple channels of MIDI output, you can filter by MIDI channel by clicking an expanderā€™s LED display. Host MIDI expanders can be daisy-chained, sending MIDI from their left to their right.

VCV - Host

2 Likes

Yes, use Host-CV expander as described in the @Jens.Peter.Nielsen post

instascale

1 Like

Itā€™s from the host manual but the link got lostā€¦

2 Likes

That worked perfectly. Thanks!

1 Like

Yes, the host manual makes this pretty clear.

1 Like

After seeing a video on the Misha I ran here to see if anyone had recreated its interval-based note entry in VCV Rack. I know this instrument does a lot of other things, but I wanted to replicate that one element to make it easier to create melodies.

Hereā€™s the patch I came up with to emulate that one specific function. I was having some trouble getting the quantization to stay in key until I found Oh, Peas by @computerscare. The Accumulator by @docB adds or subtracts multiples of 1/7 of a volt to jump through notes set by Oh, Peas. Iā€™ve been using it with Host to play VST Instruments but hereā€™s a patch playing a simple voice of fundamental modules. It can run any voice youā€™d like using the VCV SUM output for gates and the quantized Oh, Peas output for V/OCT. I used the excellent STROKE by @stoermelder to turn the bottom row of my keyboard into the Misha buttons, but a physical controller would make this a lot more fun.

Iā€™d love advice on optimizing or improving this little patch if you have any ideas. I am still trying to learn the basics, but I thought Iā€™d share if anyone else finds this thread while looking for a way to play original melody lines in key without knowing any music theory.

Misha Keyboard.vcv (3.0 KB)

6 Likes

Cool. If you want to explore some similar capabilities in VCV Rack, you may enjoy playing around with my PurrSoftware Meander module. It supports diatonic relative intervals for both chords and melody using my octal radix scheme which is discussed in the Meander manual.

2 Likes