Even VCO Hard Sync

Hello

I am trying to use the H.SYNC input of the Even VCO oscillator. Unfortunately, I do not get it to work. Should I expect the same behaviour as the VCV VCO, or am I missing something?

Thanks!

Yes, it was never implemented. It doesnā€™t do anything. Our EV-3 is derived from EvenVCO, but has three VCOs and sync between them, although the sync sources are limited to other EV-3 VCOs. Hereā€™s a link to the manual: https://github.com/squinkylabs/SquinkyVCV/blob/main/docs/ev3.md

1 Like

Iā€™m a little surprised this has never been ā€˜fixedā€™

Is it particularly hard to implement?

Hereā€™s where I show my ignorance once more: isnā€™t syncing just a reset for a vco? Thatā€™s been my assumption trying to work with it.

Yes thatā€™s correct. But the feature has always been called ā€œsyncā€ and never ā€œresetā€. But why do you say ā€œjustā€?

1 Like

I canā€™t speak for the author of EvenVCO, but I can say it was very difficult for me to implement. It is very easy to do a naĆÆve reset, but that will create aliasing distortions in huge amounts. EvenVCO goes to great lengths to minimize aliasing distortion, and is quite clean.

EV-3 was the first MinBLEP VCO I worked with, and getting the MinBLEP alias reduction algorithm to work with sync took me a lot of trial and error (and sketching on paper). For someone who is actually good at this it probably would be not nearly as much work.

3 Likes

I mean ā€œjustā€ from the point of view of understanding the concept rather than implementation. I thought that there was some special magic that made it work but then it was much easier to understand than I thought.

2 Likes

Would be very great, if the Even VCO got the missing hard sync function someday. :heart:

Iā€™m currently using the Pony VCO insteadā€¦

Or you could use the Squinky Labs EV3. Itā€™s pretty great, 3 Even VCOā€™s, very low CPU, and Bruce implemented the sync as he explains above.

4 Likes

yeah, itā€™s the exact same code I added limited sync, made it more efficient, and fixed the DC offset.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll take look, thank you guys.

1 Like