Envelope following vs sidechaining vs ducking

Hey everyone, I know you are all waiting for 1.0 to come out… me too… so while we wait can you help me answer some questions that have been doggin me for a bit?

1. How do we duck the kick easily in VCV? I know with ducking the kick you need to have something that measures the signal and another thing that attenuates or turns down the bass line. I’ve tried Befaco Slew Limiter as my audio detection object but I cant seem to get an output that reacts properly to any adsr gate type input.

2. Is there a better way using an envelope follower? i.e. use the follower to follow the music set the threshold then boom your done. (I never use envelope followers because I don’t understand them well)

3. I know the compression module guys love to add ducking as a cool feature to most of them but I cant seem to get that going on the vcv compression either.

Yea, I can do this all day in reaper or in Native Instruments or using LFO tool VST, etc. etc. but that aint shit. I need the modular / vcv way!

Thanks, Jeff Check (3AM, Sunday morning, what else would I be doing but playing with vcv!)

1 Like

Hi. Did you see this?

2 Likes

Hell no faustoserone! but I am watching it now… of course I didn’t search youtube.

Just to add to the above video, I tend to use Bogaudio Follower with an attenuverter to create the sidechaining effect:

I don’t think I have a video with me using the compressor’s side chain but when I do that I use the Bogaudio Pressor. If you haven’t tried those modules you should give them a look.
1 Like

you can use the scale parameter on nysthi:envfollower a set an inverse scale; activate the inner oscilloscope and you get instant gratification! :slight_smile:
or you can use nysthi::dynamo using the side chain and activating the ducking mode

2 Likes

Me too, usually this way:

• Kick drum into the “Side” input
  • the other signal into the “L” and/or “R” inputs
  • “In/Side” knob full clockwise
  • “Ratio” knob almost full clockwise
  • “Attack” knob almost fully counterclockwise
  • “Release” usually under 0.2
  • then I adjust “Threshold” as needed (and/or I connect something else into its CV input, to add variations to the ducking effect)
3 Likes

what blank panels are those? they’re pretty :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thx. They’re not blank panels, they’re my stream backdrop. It’s just an image i made in the Gimp. My current stream backdrop looks quite nice as well.

3 Likes

Antonio, that worked extremely well… thanks for the heads up! I’m rocking it now

2 Likes