Echoes from the Down

A place to share some of my vcv sketches.

I’m interested in creating atmospheres with layering field recordings and synthesis. I’m still finding my style but hopefully it will develop over time as I spend more time in the modular world.

Foxtrot 48 is an attempt to create one long undulating wave of connected sound and noise.

13 Likes

Wow, this is great! I’m quite into the whole field recording music thing, and this is a really good execution of that - nicely done :wink:

1 Like

Absolutely brilliant, nice one!

1 Like

down_of_hares, this is completely great. may I ask what you used to bring in the crows and the cool sound of aircraft radio chatter? Love it.

1 Like

I use music thing modular radio music from modular80 in the download manager and modulate things to taste. It takes a lot of tweaking to find the sweet spots.
I also have a zoom h5 that I carry about with me and record whatever interests me and then splice things together in audacity and some files are just downloaded from the interweb.

This tutorial I found useful.

Hope that helps some

3 Likes

Not sure what this is or why it even exists but I kind of like it.
A little experiment modulating vocals with radio noise

3 Likes

A little ambient atmosphere with noise and crackles. I wanted something peaceful but hopefully interesting. I’m trying to gain the confidence to keep things minimal and not be tempted to overcomplicate things.

2 Likes

I love the vinyl crackles ! I’ve been trying to emulate that for some time already :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Olival, particle noise in macro oscillator 2 does the job with a bit of tweaking.

1 Like

cool ^^ Thanks a lot for the insight ! I love to make my own sample packs using rack, and this will be the perfect thing for some Lofi i’m trying to make :smile:

1 Like

Or highpass noise into branches like Omri did here :

1 Like

had never seen this one ! thanks :wink:

Here’s tonights little practice. Heavily influenced by the Caretaker and possibly the KLF. I’m trying to find my own voice by first studying others. I learn a lot by doing things this way.

3 Likes

Very nice.

It’s good to listen to other people’s work, and mentally break it down into its separate parts, helps you really understand composition and production.

Also, was expecting Tammy Wynette Justified & Ancient era KLF :wink:

1 Like

Lol more KLF chill out :smile: An album that really made an impression on me all those years ago.

I find with samples it’s really difficult to give each sound it’s own space in the mix and things tend to end up a bit muddy. I wish vcv had some kind of binaural panning module, that would certainly help separate things especially for ambient type stuff.

1 Like

I always route the separate components into their own channels in Ableton Live for mixing and processing.

That would be the sensible option but I’m just trying to stay dawless and do everything inside VCV.

Vults new EQ helps a lot, Bogaudio mixer is pretty special, just wish it had an extension capability. Bogaudio compressor I’m still getting used to. Still haven’t worked out what to do with the new mid/side processor in the fundamentals but I’m pretty sure it’s going to help carve out some space in a mix.

It will take a while, but slowly I’m getting used to the tools. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

A little whimsical daydream for the moggie that visits my garden daily and stares blankly at the fence for hours. :cat:

1 Like

A little upbeat jazzy jumbled growler.

2 Likes

Just something simple, pinging audibles resonator with particle noise.
Radio music is playing the same recoding time stretched x4 in in logic with a little tape noise added.

5 Likes