easy to convert existing SVG to mm?

Of course we are all “supposed” to be making our VCV SVG in mm units, rather than pixel units. But afaik Inkscape is the only program that does this, everyone else uses pixel or points.

When the times comes where it matters, is there an easy way to convert “normal” SVG into mm units?

1 Like

Any graphics programme worth its salt has mm unit options. It’s pretty important in graphic design. It should be as easy as selecting the measurment unit in your programme of choice.

what program are you using? you can do this in affinty designer.

What other software have you tried?

I’m using Adobe XD now. Used to use Illustrator. I think Illustrator does mm, I just never noticed. XD seems to only have pixels.

I know this is a pretty basic question, but is there an easy way to convert svg from pix to mm?

right mouse botton over the rule?

Is that a short versions of “Load it into Inkscape/other, change the measurement units, and it will change the measurements of everything in the SVG and make it all in mm”?

I don’t have experience with Adobe XD, but it doesn’t look like it supports mm.

i think that is nonsense. vcv rack is rendered on computer screens, which work with pixels. depending on screen size and resolution, the actual size in mm will differ. designing in pixels is more straightforward.

well, they are sort of “virtual millimetres” as if we were in a eurorack case. Bottom line, of course, is that we do what makes our modules work, and if VCV v2 won’t work with our panels we will change them.

long time without use adobe products (I \used perhaps teen years ago ) that was how I learn , it will change the canvas measures , I m not sure if it still work, btw, is a svg, it should not be much difficult change by code, lets see what info I can find

1 Like

It’s super easy to use for panel design (since it’s made for screen design), and some of the features like cloud shared component libraries are very, very useful. But if a separate conversion step is required, that’s not super fun. I’ll report back when I know more about this workflow.

Oh, yes, and XD is free. That’s nice, too.

1 Like

is free? adobe?

1 Like

There are two versions. There is a paid version with more features. But the core design features are the same. The extra paid features are mainly around collaborating and sharing with many people. I think they are competing against other free programs like Sketch, so need to have a free version.

The free one does let you keep a component library in the cloud and dynamically link components from the libraries into your panels.

1 Like

super interesting, is nice to know that, I will make a try since I m not designer the inkscape is good enough to me, I use one adobe product, not much of them runs on linux substance painter (alegoritmic become adobe in the past year) never used the cloud and collaborative things so far

coming back to the topic? can I ask why do you want convert? is not the same draw in pixels

1mm ≅ 3.7795px

mm are the standard for VCV, and I worry that if I continue to use pixels I will find that there are future applications of VCV where my panels won’t draw correctly.

1 Like

Yes but the developer specification is strictly in mm (see the developer guidelines), the Eurorack dimensions of 128.5mm high and n*1 HP wide, which is independent of display PPI and resolution. VCV Rack takes care of the rest.

As an aside, it has always struck me as curious that Eurorack is metric, but 5HP is exactly one inch. Must come from some sort of kinship with 19 inch rack standards widthwise.

1 Like

it make me super curious , is impossible it not work with metric since mostly of printers request the work in metric (I don’t know in other places but in South America is that way)

I found this in the manual

The default unit of measurement in Illustrator is points (a point equals .3528 millimeter). You can change the unit that Illustrator uses for general measurements, strokes, and type. You can override the default unit while entering values in boxes.

*To change the default unit of measurement, choose Edit > Preferences > Units (Windows) or Illustrator > Preferences > Units (Mac OS), and then select units for the General, Stroke, and Type options. If Show Asian Options is selected in the Type preferences, you can also select a unit specifically for Asian type.

*Note: The General measurement option affects rulers, measuring the distance between points, moving and transforming objects, setting grid and guides spacing, and creating shapes.

*To set the general unit of measurement for the current document only, choose File > Document Setup, choose the unit of measurement you want to use from the Units menu, and click OK.

*To change the unit of measurement when entering a value in a box, follow the value by any of the following abbreviations: inch, inches, in, millimeters, millimetres, mm, Qs (one Q equals 0.25 millimeter), centimeters, centimetres, cm, points, p, pt, picas, pc, pixel, pixels, and px.

Tip: When mixing picas and points, you can enter values as XpY, where X and Y are the number of picas and points (for example, 12p6 for 12 picas, 6 points).

hope it helps

I’ve been neglecting to make the change from px to mm for too long in Impromptu and Geodesics, and now this thread is giving me the nudge to make the the change. I think that if px are still working now, that is because this line has not been changed:

If/when it changes, for whatever reasons, then all our px based SVGs will not render correctly, at least that’s my understanding of things.

So I hope i can find an easy way to do this change :slight_smile:

2 Likes