Does anyone remember (or even know) Delia Derbyshire?

Because we should never forgett Electronic Music Pioneers …

“To make it more difficult to find and enjoy her work, she records each performance onto pre-used Betamax cassettes and leaves them in charity shops labelled with the titles of unpopular ITV sitcoms in Dyno tape.”

Sarah Forrest, “The Hipster” - Ladybird Books

WHO’S SHE:

SOME OF HER MUSIC (More in YouTube):

8 Likes

Of course. Simon Posford mentioned her numerous times as a big influence. I can’t be sure but I think I read Bluetech mention her also.

1 Like

Many of know (and adore) the sainted Delia - but it’s certainly worth bringing her to the attention of those who are not yet aware of her pioneering work.
See also Daphne Oram.

3 Likes

Totally agree. So many women pioneers went unnoticed for so long.

2 Likes

Sure!!

… and Eliane Radigue

… and Laurie Spiegel

… and Else Marie Pade

… and …

8 Likes

Thanks for those videos! Inspiring.

i think she’s fairly well known here in the UK if only for her work on Doctor Who.

1 Like

Fairly well known all over the place because of threads like this!

Suzanne Ciani is quite big, bit more well known I think. Very much a women pioneer though

1 Like

Excellent Thread! Thank you so much!

For the french speaking : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6_2kUqxCzw

Wonderful video @23volts, thanks!

Here is the most beautiful definition of what Modular Synthesis really is:

C’est comme tomber amoureux. Vous devez apprendre à connaître la personne et cela prend du temps … Tu experimentes, mais cet instrument est très réactif … Tu construis une relation, vous faites ceci, il fait ça, vous interagissez avec lui … C’est très gratifiant, c’est excitant … il y a tellement de possibilités!

Suzanne Ciani

It’s like falling in love. You have to get to know the person and it takes time … You experiment, but this instrument is very reactive … You build a relationship, you do this, it does that, you interact with it … It’s very rewarding, it’s exciting … there are so many possibilities!

Suzanne Ciani

1 Like

God, I love Ciani so much…

Delia Derbyshire profile on BBC Radio 4

1 Like

Delia’s “Dreams” series is a favorite. White Noise is a real mind-expander too. Total hero, love Delia 4ever

1 Like

this is so nice, thanks for share this!

I have a album of EMS VCS3 improvisations I dedicated to her. Which may be self promotion on her reputation, but it is a sincere homage. And you can sample it for your own work if you want.

1 Like

Delia Derbyshire (Li de la Russe) and David Vorhaus.

6 Likes

“Love Without Sound” was my first exposure to the work of DD.

1 Like

Man in this forum i find Amazing music :open_mouth:

2 Likes