Do you use internal clocks?

A lot of sequencers come with internal clocks to them. I’m gonna have a crack at my own module, and I am wondering if I should put an internal clock into it or just have an external one.

Personally I never use them, as I may want to sync it later with other things, or make a tempo swing, so I always use an LFO anyway. But there would be people who prefer internal ones. If you do, why do you prefer it, is it annoying to not have one?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

What about an expander or separate remote unit?

I think it’s handy to have internal clocks but not if it makes the user interface more complicated to change configurations.

in other words, if a module can auto-detect if a clock signal is being sent IN and in normal mode reverts back to the internal without messing around too much.

one of the modules I’m always loadin’ is a clock. even when using the beatstep pro for instance. It’s a must have - just the same as an audio i/o.

there’s other great sequencers that choose not to have an internal clock. I’d assume this was done for a reason. Could be a performance optimization thing too but that’s just speculation from me.

No. Always external. It’s a waste of space and programming to build one in. It’s not a perf issue, however.

5 Likes

No. I always have a separate master clock and I fight hard to get everything synced properly.

1 Like

Thanks for the responses, this helped make up my mind. I won’t bother with an internal clock

4 Likes