Do you have a Valentine DAW!? (Besides VCV?)

I vote for Renoise!

7 Likes

My current favorite DAW is Bitwig!

While I’d say it’s lacking a little bit in terms of audio/midi editing compared to some of the more established DAWs, it’s extremely powerful and flexible in terms of sound design (thanks to the modulator system and the new grids) and it’s just super fun to work and play with. It’s also really a great value in my opinion, considering the number and quality of built-in devices, and to top it all off native Linux support, which (while niche) is really important to me.

3 Likes

Ardour. Used to use Cubase, many years ago. Only Ardour now.

1 Like

Reaper for me. I like Reason and Pro Tools as well, and would love to try Bitwig. But Reaper is my daily driver.

easy question, no one like Renoise, Renoise for everyone

1 Like

reaper! it’s amazing what you get for that price

1 Like

Whatever makes you happy. I’m all in on Ableton Live, because Ableton Live gets me.

2 Likes

actually I don’t have one (can I say audacity?) and I have to look for, but when I saw Reason (maybe 20 years ago) I was like :scream: wtf! you press TAB and get all the cables behind :star_struck: it was nuts
sooo far away

1 Like

Been on Reaper for a while, now slowy switching to Bitwig :slight_smile: It’s so fun to use, doesn’t feel like the Daw experience at all. Also i agree with @emmetoneill.pdx, the included sounds and devices are just awesome

Paraphrasing one of Omri’s subs on youtube : Hope you guys and gals enjoyed the Olivals day yesterday :joy:

1 Like

Have been using Cubase even before it was called Cubase: Steinberg “Twenty Four” on the Atari ST 1040 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Renoise :heavy_heart_exclamation:

Can’t wait to load the VST version of Rack into it. :star_struck:

3 Likes

Same here!

2 Likes

Yeah, there are a lot of great sequencer modules in Rack, but it will be awesome to build your favorite “synth” in Rack and sequence it with Renoise. Track the Rack, FTW. :smiley:

2 Likes

Reason. There’s nothing like it to get a tune done. It’s pretty archaic in many aspects, it’s been archaic forever really, development is crazy slow - they’re a tiny company trying to conceal the scale of their operation behind the royal we de rigueur in music software. But it’s fun. The integrated environment makes it so easy to just sit down and write a song.

Great samples. Great synths too. Thor remains a beast a decade later, Malström remains a beast
 two decades later. In my paid plugin collection, Parsec is fantastic for sound design, PX7 ships with every damn single DX7 patch ever made by anyone anywhere, great 303 and alpha juno reproductions, one of the most usable YM2612 devices around, Revival is an amazingly unique idea turning the Hammond organ into a drawbar-based additive synths processing harmonics separately, and Antidote is crazy simple to program and impossible to make sound bad.

The studio rack UI is probably very frustrating for someone with a Eurorack or VCV background. The insistence that audio and CV are different kinds of cables, a design decision probably made for performance reasons (to avoid running CV at audio rates), is infuriating. And their take on modular synthesis is kind of a joke - 100 currencies for a fixed curation of about 20 bare-bones modules.

They need to license VCV tech, seriously. Front-patched VCV mini-racks living inside my Reason studio rack would be the ultimate setup. The VST will get me close, hopefully.

1 Like

Let me put it this way : if I die noodling on Ableton, you’d know it was a happy death.

Although recently I’m being seduced by Bitwig too.

2 Likes

Reaper! best DAW IMO for the money and super customisable to your workflow + can script own plugins and features etc. Audio editing features in Reaper are second to none. Video support is really good too.

Renoise (and Redux plugin) is simpy amazing for sample based music styles, as well as sequencing vsts and hardware. It gets you thinking about music in different ways and is super fast compared to piano roll midi sequencing. You owe it to yourself to give it a try! it also doesn’t cost much and the community are a really helpful bunch!

Bitwig - although I don’t own it yet, I’ve been demoing it as it has been developing. As a former Ableton Live user, it just is going where I had hoped Ableton would have gone. The modular foundation of Bitwig is what makes it truly unique and future focused. Once it gets a few more updates to add better audio editing functionality, video support and a dedicated looper plugin I am going to be defineitely buy it. Also great for live performance! oh and Linux supported :slight_smile:

between these three DAWs and VCV Rack of course, the limits are endless.

** also I want to add that I like the general approach / philosophy of these companies towards selling and producing their software. They don’t shove marketing in your face, the updates are fair and they clearly listen to the community of users rather than solely relying on market research and current trends to influence their software. Yes Bitwig is pricey but I quite like that you can choose when to next upgrade your license based on whether the new features added are useful to you - therefore making it a worthy upgrade. I believe that the modular structure under-the-hood should still mean that whatever version of Bitwig you have, it should retain support for years to come.

2 Likes

Between Reaper and Harrison Mixbus. I’d really like to get Rearoute working in Harrison to work with VCV Rack. Or get Harrison directly working with VCV Rack.

Harrison Mixbus has a lot of good compromises when it comes to warmth and plugins it has. I’d be happy to just strictly use Harrison Mixbus with VCV Rack.

3 Likes

My world :slight_smile: Though I’m on linux so route via Jack.

3 Likes

Reason & Bitwig :+1:t3:

2 Likes

Well, thanks for the engagement. I just got JACK working with help from las in #ardour on Freenode. Merely both you and kas prodded me into trying to get JACK running again. So this guy was referencing on how to get JACK working from instruction on the JACK website, but the video helped: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quHDw8fyBhY

The last few times I tried, had issues with the directory failing on registering JACK to work in Windows. So, if the program isn’t registered, it’s not going to work as a sound Device option.

2 Likes