Dealing with delay from Host module

A little while ago I put up some links to updated documents, and mentioned in passing that I have a new document on signal delays added by VCV Host. It seemed that there were some people who aren’t really aware of the issues.

The good news is that in almost all cases you can get great results with host, but it can really pay to keep the delays in mind, and perhaps adjust them depending on your use case.

Of course, as a completely biased developer of native VCV modules, I think using (usually free) native modules can often give better results than using VSTs in Host.

Oh, and this document also lets me plug the Submarine scopes again!

Anyway, here’s the document: Demo/host-delay.md at main · squinkylabs/Demo · GitHub

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ll have a read of that. I use a lot of VSTs with rack, and can’t say I’ve noticed this. Then again, I tend to use plugins for ambient effects so it’s not too crucial for timing. I’ve also been testing a few guitar amp sims, which I didn’t think would work too well. I was surprised though, seems quite playable with a block size of 64 or 128. Anything more than that is a bit ‘laggy’. The real problem is if you want to use a plugin amp sim in a complex patch and it starts glitching, then you want to increase the buffer…

It sounds like you are pretty aware of what the issues are. fwiw my document also concludes that HOST can be used to host VIs without noticeable issues, as long as one avoids crazy bad settings.