DanTModules New Releases Thread

Visually it caught me off guard :smiley:

2 Likes

I love this :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I asked myself- why?

ā€¦and answered- why not?

Does this give you a historic first VCV module with graphics generated by AI? Looks good and sounds cool. Well done. Thanks!

1 Like

I wonā€™t claim it just yet, would need to fact check, but, I would absolutely love it if that were the case :robot:

1 Like

Just in case anyone was disappointed, or felt misled by this revelation, let me assure you, it is not simply a case of asking an AI for a design and it popping out an image that you just drop into a new module.

I had to do a fair amount of work to get the generated image that I wanted, and then upscaling and editing in Photoshop to make it suitable for use in VCV.

Here is the MidJourney part (asking for a cowbell did not work :cow: :bell:)

4 Likes

That cowbell immediately brought a big grin to my face! Very whimsical, yet useful. I like it.

1 Like

Just yesterday I was asking myself why we didnā€™t have a cowbell module yet, and poof, there you release one. Neat and well done!

1 Like

One little feature request, could the release be a little longer? Seems a bit too snappy to me, but apart from that you nailed it.

Sounds great, nice work. Interesting panel, though you may want to consider offering the choice of an alternative more traditional panel, not visually easy to use for me.

The release is the Ring parameter, and it goes to 5 seconds, thatā€™s too snappy?

ah, maybe I missed that one. Will retestā€¦

I love how this industrial cowbell looks in a rack. Keep em coming! Thanks again.

1 Like

Love the cowbell, of course it is a synth and much more than just a cowbell, and display is just a blast ! Got a fun patch started with 2 patched up and itā€™s a keeper!

Love this aesthetic and the whole concept of physical modeling with a twist. Now spill the beans on the rest of the Neon- Oblique modules to come. Again, many thanks for this wonderful module.

1 Like

Fantastic art for the cowbell, good use of midjourney, I know just what you mean, itā€™s quite an interesting effort to get something good from it, but this is terrific!

1 Like

I attempted to use Midjourney for my TAPS module, but the main thing I got from it was the idea of red knobs from a particular series of images, and then I finished doing the design on my own. However Iā€™ve made four album covers now with it, itā€™s very hard to get something that doesnā€™t look like AI generation, but itā€™s really rewarding when you end up with an idea that is a mixture of what you were going for and a pleasant surprise.

Hahā€¦ well, not much to spill at the moment.

The main other contender right now is Little Pig, which is intended to be a guitar style distortion that simulates guitar amp feedback, but I am not happy with how it works or sounds yet, so its not really ready to be included

I did some MidJourney experiments for this quite awhile ago, I think this one would maybe just have some module elements created via AI rather than the whole panel

There is some other cruft around in the back of my mind too, but its difficult to coalesce, for example I have this panel that I created for a module I named Aspect Projector, but I canā€™t remember what the module was supposed to actually doā€¦

And looking back in my notebook I can see ideas for WAVULIKE V2, with better wave shaping controls, possibly bezier stuff,

something I name Girth for faux stereo width,

something called Trike that looks like a 3 channel sequencer but with some global offset and rng controls,

some sort of band pass filter but with effects that are applied only inside the bands,

an oscillator that is created from sets of stairs (that would probably have extreme aliasing),

a module that has triple buffers that can be played back at different speeds and mixed together,

a really vague idea about a module to do with entropy, wish I could remember what i was thinking for this one,

and finally, the most likely idea I would try to progress, Sloompler is a sample & loop module, a mix between a sequencer and sample & hold, where each step can be fixed or taken from an inputā€¦

Too many ideas and not enough time to implement them

3 Likes

Hello there! I am playing with the cowbell in these days and I have to say itā€™s freaking funny! I will release a video, sooner or later where I will squeeze and torture your module! :laughing:

In the meanwhile, tho, I think I have to tell you that when the module itā€™s running and the preset is not BELL HIT but any other preset, if I try to switch to that preset, the module make a raspy noise and then it beeeeeeeeps and I have to initialise it. At that point it seems that no matter what, the preset BELL HIT seems to ā€œbreakā€ any cowbell module that there is in the patch. I send you the patch I used to test it so maybe you can replicate this thing.

Apart that, Iā€™ll say it again, great stuff! Also, I totally love the picture/video post! Feels like a real addicting thing as well, but for now I prefer to remain on the cowbell!

Have a great week!

dant_cowbell_demo.vcv (4.1 KB)

I will take a lookā€¦

On the subject of changing presets, that is currently one area where you may need to use the Panic button regularly, because unlike the randomise function, there isnā€™t a way that I know of in code to hook an action on to the preset load event.

When the randomise function is used, there is an override function that allows me to automatically call the panic action and clear the buffers, but I canā€™t do this for preset load, so loading any preset right now can often cause some nasty feedback.

Not sure if or how this would be affecting multiple instances, but like I said, iā€™ll take a lookā€¦

Preset load is nothing more than a call to dataFromJson where the json comes from the saved preset file.

So, any code you need would be added to that function. Sounds like you need to suspend processing or do some init any time that is happening.

Iā€™ve had to add ā€˜dirtyā€™ logic to dataFromJson so that my UI can detect when settings have changed due to preset loading. In dataFromJson, I set a modified flag that the ModuleWidget checks in itā€™s step() override, does what it needs to compute and clears the flag.

1 Like