Dag2099's music video and streaming thread

Here’s Patches for March 2019:

This is a collection of footage featuring all the patches I made for the aforementioned month.
You will note that I have styled it “ASMaRch”. That is because I decided to try streaming under the ASMR tag for a while. It went okay but I was not a break out success.
Edit: by the way, there are people who are super chill about their subscriber count and don’t mention subscribing or following. There are also people who care so much that the can’t help but beg for subs and follows all the time.
I’m a bit of both i.e. I do care about subs and follows but I’m shy about asking for them. So please, if you would like to, consider following me on Twitch.tv/dag2099 and subscribing to me on Youtube. Thanks.

2 Likes

“But, Dag2099”, you ask, “what the ever shapely heck are you upto in this new patch?”
A good question. Really it’s just a load of one shot LFOs triggering the levels of different harmonics in Phasor.
Here, have a look:

Also, here is my latest VCP entry:

It features a similar mechanism but also beats.

I really thought about starting a new thread here for this video. It started as a stream idea and then I thought it would make a nice stand alone video: a competition to see who reached 1000 points in a VCVRack Pong match between two simulated players. Great idea!
Then the pain began.
I worked on the idea, doing a few shorter videos before setting up the real thing. It took two hours to record, then edit, and five hours to render. Then I watched the whole thing through. Satisfied by what I’d done I started to think about uploading it when I noticed a problem: some of the sound effects where not set up to do proper stereo. So I decided to do the whole thing again. Some time during the rendering process for the second version I started to get anxiety problems. Fortunately after that everything was okay.

Here it is:

So, does it deserve it’s own topic? I’m not convinced. I would like to see it linked on the Facebook group though (I’d do it myself but Facebook would not be good for me so I don’t have an account).
Thanks for reading this novel length account.
2 Likes

Very cool Dag! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, after the last strange and disheartening attempt at ASMR, this week I have constructed a smaller piece. It’s only 38 minutes long but it sounds nicer and the “tennis” is better and more satisfying.
Here, check it out:

Also, I entered VCP-30 here:

Please enjoy and give me feedback.

I still can’t shake this obsession with Piong. This time I tried to do a fat drone with Vult Bleak and Lindenberg Voldemar into two Vampyrs. How fat is this drone? Actually I think it could have been fatter but there you go.
Enjoy. Feedback, plaudits, subscriptions, meagre gifts of food, all are accepted.

the full patch is revealed at the end.

1 Like

I tried pretty hard to make a new Patches video but then I got a bit paranoid about some aspects of it. I’ll take another shot at it in a while (it will be the last of the Patches videos covering last year’s streams, next will be last month’s stuff).
Anyway, here’s a nutso noise/drone track based on using a euclidean sequencer at audio rates and varying the number of triggers in the…uh…the cycle. Or something. Also, I saw something about a new synth without oscilators at superbooth so I put a resonant filter in there as well.

Also, here is my last entry to VCP for people who don’t follow that stuff:

I’m still streaming every day as well.

2 Likes

I wondered what would happen if I did another “Southpole SNS” as oscillator patch. This time I used two. It didn’t really come together until I started using the flip pan in the controls.
I got a bit carried away with my visuals on this one so please give feedback on whether you like it or not:

This is good, I really like that sound. The visuals are cool, def add to the effect.

And Phasorhump is awesome, a great track.

1 Like

These patches are really nice. I’ve subscribed and I am looking forward to learn more from you. Cheers!

1 Like

Thanks! I appreciate the Subscribe.

the problem with the visual stuff is that it takes a lot of effort to set up. I need to focus more on the effect that it has. Thx.

Here is a pleasant Sunday afternoon patch that attempts to answer the question of what would happen if you did pitch stacking and phasing at the same time? This, I guess:

(Sorry about the garish color scheme)
Also features a weird way of creating a sense of movement in the piece using a technique I developed to track points in my upcoming (and definitive) Piong patch video.

2 Likes

If you’re not already recording these as stems and polishing them then you really should at some point. I’m on here procrastinating from doing that very thing, mind :smiley:

1 Like

The thing is, I’m not really sure what a “stem” is?

single monophonic digital track representing one single temporal line of a single instrument ?

I looked it up and it appears to be a format that stores various tracks separately so that djs can use them. I did search for it myself. Maybe my piece would work well quadraphonicly? I don’t have the facitlities to test that sort of thing.

a WAV multitrack is STEM container !

(you can use the 4/8 track multitrack)

you can open files in Oceanaudio, Audacity, Reaper (and many others I don’t know)

1 Like

Okay, sorry about the confused response. I didn’t get what you were suggesting. I could do it but I don’t really have a lot of resources (in terms of money) and for the most part I’m happy with the mixes I’ve done. I mean, they’re bad but I learn plenty every time. Thx

1 Like

My latest phasing experiment. It’s nice. It’s melodic. It’s a bit too long.
The real difficulty for me is to get significant tonal shifting over time.

Also I have an entry in vcp-32.