ChowDSP Development Thread

I’m a little confused by the Warp module. I tried to get a handle on what it does using bogaudio’s Additator module, and my first impression is that it doesn’t deal with high frequencies well. As shown in the screenshot, the cutoff parameter doesn’t seem to do much - even at a low value the high-frequency content is a lot higher than what’s in the signal. Maybe that is intended - ?

I don’t know what it does, but I do know that things that are highly non-linear (distort a lot) don’t technically have a “frequency response”, so you can get weird results using this analyzer with devices like that.

Sometimes with a module like this you can see more if you run a simple sine into is and look at the output. It does seems that cut-off doesn’t do much if the input freq is quite high, but it does seem to have an effect at lower frequencies. But for sure just looking at the output it’s difficult so see what this thing does, other than distort. But I’ll bet you need to use it with “real” input.

BTW, there seems to be something wrong with the oversampling control. It doesn’t reduce the aliasing, and as 16-x it seemed to make a lot of noise.

Yeah, the “Cutoff” parameter is a little bit strange. It maps directly to the center frequency of the peaking filter used in the effect, which isn’t immediately obvious in the audible output. I agree that I’ve found this effect more useful on inputs with some transient behavior as opposed to static sine waves.

Due to the “strange-ness” of the algorithm, the Warp module behaviour does depend on the sample rate, so at high sample rates I would expect some odd behaviour. From testing the other modules that use the same oversampling code, I believe the oversampling implementation is sound.

Thanks, Jatin

3 Likes

Thanks for these modules! I’m excited to see heavy DSP weirdness in VCV. This is the kind of thing I would love to see more of in the hardware world so it’s great to see it here.

1 Like

Btw i just learnt about your Tape emulation Vst :smiley: I tried it a bit and i really love it !

1 Like

Thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@jatinchowdhury18 i have noticed on your modules that use oversampling always default back to 4x even if they were used and saved at a higher rate in a patch. i read the user manual and although i’m aware that they default to 4x i assumed you’d be able to save them within a patch at a higher sample rate and recall that patch with the higher sample rate intact, but they default back to 4x. would it be possible to implement that feature in a future update?

Welp, it look like I just straight up forgot to implement saving/loading for the oversampling rate :man_facepalming:.

The latest CI builds should have a fix. Would you or someone else be able to confirm that it is working correctly before I do an official update?

2 Likes

glad I’m not the only one who does things like that :wink:

i am on macOS only here but glad to hear a fix will be submitted soon.

i use your modules often and was wondering if there was any chance an expander or a deluxe Tape module with all the features of ChowTapeModel vst would be something you’d consider. definitely one of my favorite tape emulation plugins.

1 Like

The CI pipeline should generate builds for all 3 platforms… I haven’t tried the Mac builds, but maybe they’ll work fo you?

Thanks, I’m glad you like these modules! I have thought about “expanding” on the tape module (both literally and figuratively). I think it would probably make the most sense to make each section as separate modules… like a dedicated wow/flutter module, a dedicated “playhead loss” module, etc… Anyway, it’s something to work on, though I haven’t had a ton of time to write VCV code lately, it is something I’d like to do :slight_smile: .

2 Likes

Your tape VST is fantastic and having it in this ecosystem, especially broken out as you describe, would be a wonderful thing!

1 Like

i will give it a try later tonite and let you know.

@jatinchowdhury18 yessir… now they save the oversampling rate. :beers:

Awesome, thanks! I’ve made a new release, hopefully it will be live in the Library pretty soon.

2 Likes

any chance of Chow Kick being added to your vcv stuff?

1 Like

Yeah, I would like to do that at some point. Unfortunately, I’ve been pretty swamped with work the past few weeks/months, and when I do get free time, I tend to prefer spending that time working on new DSP algorithms/ideas (or better yet, actually making music :slight_smile:), rather than porting code that’s already written.

That said, I’m working on scheduling some free time to reset my brain and all that, at which point I do want to spend some more time on my VCV plugin, and port some of my newer plugins. I definitely want to add more of the sections from ChowTape and the resonant filter(s) from ChowKick. I feel like ChowMatrix could be cool in VCV as well, but I don’t know if I have the knowledge/patience to port the GUI. If someone in the community feels up to the task, I’d be happy to provide support!

By the way, the pulse shaper from ChowKick is already in the VCV library as ChowPulse. I like using it to make kick drums in conjunction with the WernerFilter or similar filter.

6 Likes

That’s cool! Totally overlooked ChowPulse, need to kick it with it some time.

Hi All!

I was able to carve out some time the past couple weeks to update ChowDSP-VCV for Rack v2. Yesterday, I went through and added a bunch more modules for different sections from the ChowTape VST plugin including: playhead loss filters, tape compression, tape degradation, and tape chew. I think the only main one I’m missing is wow/flutter. I’m hoping to get a few more new modules in before Rack v2 releases, but I figured I’d share the progress thus far in case anyone wants to test.

Some test builds are availble on GitHub. These builds were built against Rack SDK version 2.git.219bbaf1, so I don’t think they’ll work unless you’re running that specific version of Rack.

Enjoy!

9 Likes