Chinenual Development Thread

That’s great, thanks for adding Notemeter. Didn’t know about Fourview either. Would it be possible to have Notemeter support polyphony? Just had a crash input polyphonic output from Tint into it.

Also, re: Tint, does it require having both melody and chords inputs to generate different notes at Harmonized output?

1 Like

NoteMeter is supposed to handle polyphony! (and does in my tests). I’ll review the code to see if I missed an edge condition. Can you tell me how you have things connected so I can try to reproduce your conditions?

Re: Tint: yes you need both Chord and Melody connected. The basic idea is that the module creates a harmony for each note in the polyphonic Melody input by selecting a note from the set specified in the Chord input.

2 Likes

Strange, not sure what happened but working now. Tried to replicate but ok so far.

1 Like

Here is my demo song using Chinenual Tint with Meander. This is in the brightest “mode” C Lydian and stays in place on the “I” chord while Tint works with the current “I” C chord in its various inversions and octaves modified by the circular arpeggiation of the chord as the “melody”. The intent was to stay true to the tintinnabulation bell-like tunes. There is also lots of automation going on in the patch.

Meander Tintinnabuli C Lydian.vcv (18.7 KB)

6 Likes

I love it!

Looking forward to digging in and better understanding how you make Meander do its magic. This currently drags my machine to its knees, but I have a new machine “coming soon” that should be able to handle this patch.

1 Like

This is a minimalist style rendition of Meander with Chinenual Tint. No chords are sounded, even though the harmonized melody is based on the Db Aeolian (minor) chord notes cycling and the Db chord. Also there is the chord bass and root drone playing. This better spotlights what Tint can do. Also, the CPU load is about half of what my last demo was.

Meander Tintinnabuli Db Aeolian.vcv (17.3 KB)

3 Likes

Sounds very nice!

1 Like

Note, when I added NoteMeter from today’s library release to my patch it starts okay but when I connect a 3 channel chord from Meander to NoteMeter, Rack crashes, every time. There is nothing in the log file regarding the crash. Tried it with AaronStatic ChordCV and that crashes also.

Win11 Rack Pro 2.2.3

1 Like

Argh. I’ll investigate - other than the version change in the plugin.json, I don’t think there was any change in the plugin vs what you had previously tested. But obviously something went astray!

I had not tested NoteMeter before today.

1 Like

Same error here Win10 Rack closes after connecting Progress 2 multi out to note meter.

PS. beta 2 also crashes.

1 Like

OK - I’m not having any problems in my mac development system. I’m guessing I’ve gone astray with an uninitialized variable such that the mac compiler chain “works” but the windows one crashes. I’ll let you know when I find it!

Tracking this at NoteMeter crashes Rack · Issue #4 · chinenual/Chinenual-VCV · GitHub FWIW

2 Likes

Address sanitizer can often find memory issues. Have you run this module under address sanitizer?

Not yet… I’m currently transitioning to a new development machine; this will be the first thing I look into as soon as I have a working environment.

It’s not super difficult to use it under mac on linux. Even though I do most of my dev on windows I would fire up an Ubuntu VM just so I could easily run ASAN.

1 Like

I just fired it up on my older dev box (a mac) and got an interesting crash. A SEGV immediately preceded by a loadFont warning for a font .ttf file that is not referenced in my code. (and a recursive grep does not find the path string in my source tree).

So stand by. Something fishy going on that I can’t yet explain…

This is the kludge that I built to do what TINT does, except worse. It took me a long time to figure out and it’s big and ungainly. I take Tint to be a polyphonic quantizer, basically, but without any built-in scale. So it will quantize incoming voltage to any array of voltages I pass it, and their octaves. I’m about to delete the junk in this picture and add Tint to my Rack template. Thank you!

1 Like

Oops, I was wrong about Tint. It’s quantizing the voltages I put in the CHORD input to equal temperament tuning.

Is there any way to build a module like this that only outputs exactly the voltages I give it (and their octaves), and doesn’t change my Pythagorean fifth (0.585v) to an equal-temperament one (0.583v)?

2 Likes

Another vote for that.

1 Like

Yes - the Tintinnabulator is currently locked to an equal temperament quantization. I’ll have a think on how to generalize to other tunings - for now I’ve added your request as a feature request at: Generalize the Tintinnabulator to non-equal temperament tuning · Issue #5 · chinenual/Chinenual-VCV · GitHub

1 Like