Chaircrusher Music Thread

I think I’ll see what it sounds like with a Euclidean sequencer playing 13 kicks spread over 43 steps :grinning:

This is the drums in version.

4 Likes

OMG yes! I love it. I had some fun jamming with a flute a bit. Haven’t found the correct one yet - maybe I never will. But that piece is a blast.

You should record your jamming for me! I’ll add it to the track.

This is an exploration of texture. The 8 notes generated by the Chords modules drive a simple Kitchen Sink-based 3-op FM voice.

The chords are changed (out of sync with the volume envelopes) by an instance of GridSeq, and GridSeq presets are changed every 16 beats by a Clocked Output.

I only put up a video because I wasn’t on a machine where I couldn’t edit audio. It’s probably one of the more static patch videos you’ll see anytime soon.

that sounds cool.

Still rather obsessed with what you can do with Nysthi Confusing Simpler. And with Macro Oscillator 2 for that matter.

The Confusing Simpler instances are daisy chained and record/playback triggers come a Bernoulli Gate, through clock dividers. From left to right the rate of clock trigger increases, so the leftmost plays back larger parts of it’s sampled input, and each unit going right plays back smaller parts of the input sampled from the Simpler to its left.

More or less, I think I broke the pattern at some point. Makes for some very busy sounds.

2021-06-24.vcv (404.9 KB)

2021-07-03.vcv (1.1 MB)

This illustrates keeping two voices harmonically in sync by having the same Stoermelder 8Face V2 controlling the two quantizers. So you can transpose or change scale notes, and when you pick a new scene on the first voice, the quantizer on the second voice follows.

Also helping with adding chaos in an orderly way, the gates coming from the JW GridSeq are thinned out by a Audible Bernoulli Gate. In other words it skips triggers randomly based on the p weight.

The thing I notice when you monkey around like this with multiple random modulations all over the place is that the randomness becomes more a musical texture. In other words it doesn’t sound arbitrary, without form or melodic anchor.

It’s like looking through a distorting lense at a picture. You mentally see ‘through’ the distortion and reconstruct the picture into something recognizable. And the distortion - or in our case many random modulations acting on the sound genderation process – is a texture that adds interest and suprise to something that starts out orderly and deterministic.

Never noticed that there’s a pronounced noise in the Hora Flux BBD device once I jack the levels up with mastering. It’s a remarkably good recreation of cassette tape noise!

2 Likes

This looks superb and sounds great, however the patch will not open in my VCV Rack, any idea why this might be?

1 Like

“will not open” is not very descriptive. What happens?

Well, Howdo, the patch opens and then closes very rapidly. Other patches work ok though! Not sure this description helps. Further developments and now it opens and is fine, not sure what was going.

1 Like

There’s at least 2 plugins in that patch that I suspect crash because of uninitialized variables. @synthi’s Confusing Simpler sometimes wakes up with a buffer full of NAN and outputs a large DC offset. You have to delete it from the patch, close and re-open it to get it back in action.

I think sometimes Stoermelder 8Face V2 can fall over occasionally with complicated sets of modules whose state it manages. If you get a consistent crash, save the log.txt from your Rack dir and send it to the developer or post it here.

2 Likes

The real star is the sample of fireworks that a friend at work made with his phone of all the unsantioned pyrotechnics in his neighborhood on July 4th.

Aside from that it is a continuation with my obsession with FM sounds where the FM is super subtle. Between FM & Detuning there’s a whole timbral world.

2021-07-07.vcv (1.1 MB)

1 Like

that’s a really big sound. and yeah, not “typical” FM, for sure.

So you want some instant Autechre? I got some instant Autechre right here for you, dawg.

https://cornwarning.com/chaircrusher/Chaircrusher-FakeAutechre.mp3

2021-07-15.vcv (292.7 KB)

1 Like

Another splendid track. Strangely I have been creating similar sounds using Squinky Labs Organ 3 with Shabang’s Neutrinode sequencer and 4 AS Dual Delay and AI Macro 2 through some heavy reverb. I did not know that I was been influenced by Autechre though, I bought one of their early CDs in the early 2000s. So subliminal memory had an effect after all.

This is some guitar and drums & flanged noise bursts.

I need to play more guitar to like, have good notes & stuff. But this was an exercise in texture. It’s the Blamsoft Overdrive that gives it that furry guitar tone, and Squinky Compressor to add really long sustain.

2021-717.vcv (219.3 KB)

https://cornwarning.com/chaircrusher/Chaircrusher-YellowPig.mp3

3 Likes

Guitar tone is pretty nice. I didn’t even know there was a Blamsoft distortion, seems good.

It’s my $200 Stag Telecaster clone, direct into the Scarlett 18i8 instrument input.

https://library.vcvrack.com/?query=&brand=Blamsoft&tag=&license=

This patch uses Confusing Sampler to live sample the guitar, but the Confusing Sampler input is a mix of the send sound, and it’s own output processed with a Vult Ferox filter.

This version is just guitar, leaning on my keyboard stand. Ambient noise - TO THE EXTREME.

This one was actually playing the guitar.