Can't select separate audio interface in the VST: will be enabled in later update!

Absolutely - particularly when used with Bitwig - I wrote something about that here:

"Ah yes, that makes sense. It looks like that feature has been forgotten about after it was disabled in the Rack Pro 2.0 build. We can re-enable it soon after stability testing in a future release. It will likely not work with ASIO but should work with all other drivers.

Andrew Belt"

But without ASIO support there will be a very high latency which makes this feature completely useless, especially when playing in live situations :frowning:

We’ll see. I get the impression that WASAPI has improved quite a bit.

Anyway, the vcv2 side of things would only be outputting CV information, we’ll see how we’ll manage. Latency is going to be an issue either way.

I don’t think that comment says: no ASIO support.

Looks more like it is a warning that it might not work with ASIO.

My early guess is that, if you have an audio interface with a multi-client ASIO driver: RME , MOTU
Then ASIO might work fine.

It’s a limitation in ASIO - VCV can’t do anything about it.

“The Steinberg ASIO audio API allows only a single device driver to be loaded and accessed at a time.” source: The RtAudio Home Page

I’m trying to accomplish the same thing. I’ve got a MOTU 896HD 8 channel interface with the ES-3 and ES-6 modules attached via ADAT. I can get CV in/out in stand alone mode of VCV. I’m using Bitwig and having a heck of a time getting the routing setup for the VST mode. When send out virtual CV, do you pass it through the Audio module of VCV, I assume? I’d love to see or read a breakdown. I feel like I’m 90% there. I think I’ve got the CV out working, but getting CV in is another story.

Getting CV in is just the reverse (with a caveat)

For CV out: VCV Audio module with DAW driver > Another audio track in Bitwig set to input from the VCVs multi-channel outs and output to hardware channels.

For CV in: Audio track set to input CV from hardware and output to the VCV instance (on a different track). In VCV, pull the CV from the “From Device” 1 & 2 (or 3 &4) outputs of the Audio module.

The caveat: I believe that currently multi-channel inputs to VSTs in Bitwig is limited to 4 channels - by default you are inputting to channels 1 & 2 but you can use the VSTs sidechain input to access channels 3 & 4.

1 Like

Yep, that’s correct. Was a bit surprised when I found this out…

I’ve contacted Bitwig support to ask whether it’s on the horizon to be improved. Raised a Bitwish FR too…

I read on a forum somewhere that is was ‘on the list’ back in 2018, so I wouldn’t hold your breath haha.

Hopefully additional driver support will come in the VST soon making that need somewhat redundant.

Looks like this has been implemented in latest Rack Pro 2.0.3!

From Changelog: “Add external audio/MIDI drivers in plugin, except ASIO on Windows.”

Haven’t had a chance to try it out yet though.

2 Likes

oooooooo ooooo ooooooo!!!

this is going to be so much fun.

1 Like

Here I’m not able to get a (WASAPI) buffer size below 512 samples @ 48KHz

Any reduction of buffer size or increase of sampling rate = buffer underrun

That’s 10.7ms (plus whatever happens at driver + hardware level)

Some of this might be dependent on sound card, of course…

So are Windows users out of luck, or are we waiting for another update?

It works on window, just not for ASIO drivers. There has been no announcement that I know of about allowing them in the future.

Yes, I understand it’s not ASIO for Windows, but I’m skeptical of whether or not the WASAPI drivers are up to the task of getting audio & CV out of my ES-3/ES-6 modules. Or how much latency that will introduce. I’ll try it, but I don’t think it’s going to go well.

EDIT: Selecting WASAPI and the ADAT output immediately crashes VCV in Bitwig. DirectSound lets me choose an in/out channel and then ignores my selection and goes back to “no device”.

Of , for sure, I get it.

Hi. First post.

I understand the ASIO restriction on Windows given that if you did not have a multi-client device then you could end up in all sorts of nasty territory if you were to select the same device that is currently in use by the DAW.

However, there are devices out there that can handle that fine. I can open multiple DAWs addressing the same ASIO device with my Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 2nd Gen, for example. That isn’t a scenario I presently have a use case for, but it works.

The scenario I do see a potential use case for, however, is to run the DAW on one interface as normal with the ability for the VCV VST to set an Audio module set to a different interface. VCV would effectively become a bridge between two interfaces without the additional latency and other headaches associated with using WASAPI or DirectSound drivers.

If that were possible on Windows, surely Expert Sleepers ES-9s would be flying off the shelves. Which is why I’m posting, because I don’t own one presently but would very much consider one if this were an option. On Windows we don’t have the ability to aggregate audio devices together gracefully as I’ve read you can on Mac OS; if VCV can effectively fill that gap that opens up all sorts of interesting things.

Is there a chance that in the future, ASIO devices could be made selectable within the VCV VST on Windows, even if behind a gate; be it a setting you have to wilfully enable buried in a configuration file or some sort of “warning, this could go wrong and is not a supported configuration” prompt of some description?

Please do correct me if there is a specific technical limitation preventing it but to me it seems like a choice in the interest of ‘safety’ for people who may inadvertently set the same single-client ASIO device they’re using in the DAW and crashing their system - which is understandable - but I’d like the ability to accept that risk and defeat it.

1 Like

I‘m using Asio Link Pro to route the Asio stream to my wishes. A bit complicated to setup first, but when it‘s running; it‘s running. I think this is a great workaround.