[now available] Drone Day 2020 collab

i love them! i think the first one is appropriate for what i’m going for this year. especially the soft wind in the background. i would love to have that on its own. is that a sample or synthesized from noise?

as for the percussive sounds, i haven’t checked but are they quantized to the scale i mentioned at the start of the thread? also, they have a really wide frequency range. to sit better in the mix, together with other elements, i would like to limit these sounds to just one of low, medium, or high frequency range. i could just filter them, but if it is a vcv patch, it would be easy to do that at the source. (also, i’d prefer to use my own reverb, so it glues with other elements together more.) if you want, you can send me the patch and i’ll work with that.

as for the birdsong, i do like that, and i did use similar samples in the past two years. it actually forms a connecting element (and yes, that’s on purpose) between the end of drone day 2018 and the beginning of drone day 2019. you can also hear it in quieter spots throughout the 2019 edition.

so i think i should go for something else this year (and it is also a bit of an overdone trope in ambient). the end of drone day 2019 has wordless human voice, and i would like to use that as a connecting element this time.

so there will be no typical birdsong this year, but i’m open for something more exotic and different (e.g. i used raven samples in 2018). or i could process the birdsong sample to sound very differently, for some sprinkles on top, by pulling it through clouds or a convolution reverb, for example.

1 Like

I’m glad you like it :beers: the kind of wind is the CLOU sound of the Audible Instruments Macro Oscillator, the percussive sound comes from Audible Instruments Resonator, and it is not quantized to the scale you mentioned, but every note is chosen (kinda randomly) from a series of notes I decided to use, so in one minute I have the scale I want to have. For the wide range no problem, just input fewer notes!

I can send you the patch or I can do it for you, just tell me.

This discussion reminds me that I should share my patches even if I don’t think they are masterpieces :rofl:

btw it just came to my mind that I have one track I have never released that should fit perfectly…

1 Like

either way is fine, but if you send me the patch, i can record it at a fitting length.

perfect. in a couple of days I’ll write to you email

This is very interesting and exciting, and it’s right up my alley. Or at least I hope so, usually I lean towards the more abrasive industrial drone stuff, but have been wanting to do more peaceful drone stuff lol. I’m definitely in.

1 Like

I have prepared the patch with instructions, and another one as mentioned before

if you need something, I am here :beers:

2 Likes

I’m sending my track. Let me know if you have problems. Key is Em. You can also check my yt channel if you need more stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcTHUq2vV37EwtdxgsMsRdQ?view_as=subscriber

Have a nice one!

1 Like

Bonjour ablaut :slightly_smiling_face:

here’s a sample of my composition “Souffle”, a VCV patch with 2 VST. No mix, stressed computer (me too !), no performance. Just a sample…

However, I have prepared 7 tracks for you (4’, 48khz, 24 bits, -3db max, stéréo WAV, no click !). I’m hoping you can use some of my sound elements.

1 Like

Well that turned out weird, but it was fun lol

1 Like

Here is my contribution, as always almost too late…

@SyBorg and @the1andonlydrno, if you want me to use those, then please send me lossless stems (flac, wav, alac), or vcv rack patches

i sent a wav file via eMail, please let me know if this works for you

i have not received your email

2nd attempt to yngwin@gmail.com just sent without any problem if this doesn’t work, I load it in my mega account an give you the link

now I got an error message, here is the link https://mega.nz/file/xhYDhQwK#BYlaAazVhA0PTcdDa5jnfAjS3m0TwVLXFbMHkwWHE9k

1 Like

I’ve just sent you an email. I’m really interested to see how this will turn out, especially after the last 2!

1 Like

I am uploading but my connection being too slow it will probably be past midnight…

@the1andonlydrno that works! thanks.

@McMij received and i just sent you an email in response

@SyBorg i haven’t received that yet, but feel free to still send it in!

so far i have received contributions from:

ale47p
Ananda Namaste
Brian Fields
Giovanni Gramegna
Hugh Wuailitt
insectarium
Manifold Theory
Marc Brafman
Myst Mach
NOrchestra
ravn revheim
SyBorg
The Quietist
the1andonlydrno
Uncle Chrome
windspace

this is also how you will be credited, so if you want to change that, please let me know asap! i’m trying to get the artwork done before saturday, so that i do not have to care about that on the day itself.

if your name is missing from the list, then it means i did not receive your material, and some internet gremlins are holding it! please let me know in the next couple of days how to save it from them!

i am still looking for field recordings or random “unmusical” sounds for added atmosphere, things like breathing, handling an object, air escaping, a soft wind/airco/fan sound, etc.

cheers and thanks all!

1 Like

I’ll see if I can record something, but currently I’m living in a quite noisy place. roof making noise with wind, cars passing by everytime, peacocks and various birds 24/7, cats fighting at midnight…I think that if I record myself sleeping I will catch more of this than my breath (don’t worry: I cannot sleep for more than 4/5 hours without waking up…)

but somewhere I have an half of one hour of a kinda radio-style recording, picked up during a flight, not intentionally, of course I did not understand what they are talking about…unfortunately I don’t know if I can access it by tomorrow or by Thursday

p.s. please credit me as ale47p :+1:

1 Like

I made a wetransfer but perhaps got your mail wrong, anyway here’s a download link : https://we.tl/t-DGfVE0Km7x