Build dependencies in Ubuntu 20.04+ and libwxgtk3.0-dev

Hi,

Just sharing in case anyone else is getting stuck building plugins using Ubuntu 20.04+.

I set up an Ubuntu 20.04.3 virtual machine so I can build a v2 Rack compatible version of a plugin. When I tried to install the build dependencies to set up the build environment, that version of Ubuntu couldn’t find the package libgtk3.0-dev.

According to a post on Ask Ubuntu the package was renamed / changed from libwxgtk3.0-dev to libwxgtk3.0-gtk3-dev in Ubuntu 20.04.

So, I replaced libwxgtk3.0-dev with libwxgtk3.0-gtk3-dev in the list of dependencies, installed them OK and the plugin built OK.

VCV Rack does not depend on wxWidgets, so why would you need libwxgtk3.0-gtk3-dev? :stuck_out_tongue:

The correct package name of GTK 3 is libgtk-3-dev. I was recently misinformed of the name and have fixed the VCV Manual - Building article.

2 Likes

Probably because I have no idea what I’m doing and I should have checked first. :slight_smile: Thanks for updating the manual. Not sure if this thread should be deleted to avoid confusion? Happy for that to happen if you want to.