BrightThunder introduction (moved from Member Introductions)

thanks! Of course we never made that many of those things, so most people don’t know about it. But it sure sounded good!

3 Likes

Hi,Paul, Thanks so much for the video. I never even saw a Voyetra “in the flesh”,just occaissional photos. I’m no synth guru,and wouldn’t claim to be. I also didn’t mention EMS,or various others.Honestly,I also nearly forgot to include ARP,and I almost bought an Odyssey,and would have except they’d just gone under,literaly months before,and I didn’t dare risk it breaking,and being unfixable.

Anyway,as I said,no guru,or anything like it.In the '80s I was just a young piano-player guy,who loved rock and electronica [esp. Tangerine Dream and Vangelis],and watched in horror,and dismay,as these Legendary American synth manufacturers were being crushed by the Japanese companies.

To be honest,I could hardly believe it.It always seemed to me that the new [then] digital synths had no real power to their sound.[I thought the Casio CZs sounded,more or less,as good as the DX7,or maybe better,at around a quarter of the price]. The British music/audio tech magazines agreed.

I’m from Scotland,and the same thing had happened to the British motorcycle industry,the previous decade. I don’t mean it spitefully,but I was delighted when Ensoniq appeared on the scene,and for a decade or so,beat them at their own game. Better products,at equal,or lower prices,I mean. They didn’t put them out of business,and that’s fine with me. [Roland and Korg didn’t half make some great synths,but I don’t include the “mighty” M1,as it is/was often called,among them].

Thanks again for the video,and the info.I’d no idea that Squinky was a legend,going back to then.Very nice to know.

2 Likes

Before we get too far off of Bruce’s Voyetra, here’s a couple amusing videos with it.

And some praise from Joseph Kosma who speed programs using Bruce’s DOS sequencer.

7 Likes

thanks for posting those, @rickglasser! I had never seen those Voyetra-8 videos before. They actually give a pretty good representation of that it sounded like. btw, I can’t take much credit for the sound, my boss did a huge majority of the analog circuit design. He was a real no-compromise guy. If it weren’t for him I’m sure we would have given up on trying to fit a high-end analog polysynth into a rack mount case, among many other crazy things we did.

I do know about the speed programmer. I contacted him maybe 8 years ago. btw, our own @dlphillips still uses Sequencer Plus running in a dos box in Linux.

Thanks again!

3 Likes

Obviously there is a lot of info on this topic if you search here. Just want to mention what you probably already know - you don’t wan’t a super low end GPU for rack. It does use openGL for all rendering, and will stress the very worst GPUs. I always say a mid-range current video card is more than enough for VCV, but that’s rather off the cuff.

2 Likes