Brainstorm our October creative challenge

Some people reported that the constraints for the September challenge, specifically the +1 plugin, (later amended to allow +1 module from another plugin), are too restrictive. As the organizer of the challenge, I want to make sure to learn from this, while at the same time, trusting my instincts that people who push themselves through the discomfort may surprise themselves at what they can come up with.

So my decision is to continue the September challenge (Dream World) as-is, but to open a conversation about next month’s challenge so that more people will feel like it something they want to participate in.

Let’s do that conversation here, instead of in the September challenge thread. That way the September challenge has a fair chance to be focused, for those who still want to participate.

Thank you!

4 Likes

Definitely reverb is both important and hard to find in a lot of plugins. So I felt like the wildcard module was a good idea as an emergency fix to the rules.

For the other two, although the sequencers and oscillators might not be everything you want, the module constraint can force you to MacGuyver things in fascinating and sometimes disturbing ways. Or maybe it’s just not your thing. No worries either way.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say it’s too restrictive or that it being too restrictive is a sin per se, but… yeah, it’s not consistent with the theme. Anyway, October!

I have an idea. It all ends with Halloween, right? And although it isn’t a huge thing in my country, I like it. It’s goofy and sometimes spooky, My idea is to create a short soundtrack for an old horror movie that is 20-30 minutes long and - ideally - is a public domain thing. Also it should be easily available on archives or youtube… As for restrictions… idk. Maybe something like… no obviously digital-inspired stuff. Like Braids/Plaits and granular things and maybe even no quantizers, even though it is possible to make an analog one… Yeah. That’s my idea. I don’t think it is a genius idea, but it sounds like fun… I am not sure if I will be participating though, haha. I might be busy with life stuff… But we’ll see

2 Likes

A nice list…

Getting one that’s 20-30 mins. That’s a challenge :stuck_out_tongue: (Melies’ 1896 House of the Devil may fit that bill though)

3 Likes

Speaking of horror… I’ve never really researched what can be legally sampled but I for one saved a .wav today of the weird banging/solar ping noises coming from the Starliner that’s currently docked at the ISS, with a bit of chatter between an astronaut and ground control. As an idea. It’s rythmic, too.

I believe some NASA content is explicitly public domain based on USA federal law. I believe the same is true for air traffic control audio. Anyone can receive it, record it, sample it, whatever. So perhaps it is true for this case also?

You could go the opposite direction in October.

So how about in October you must use at least one module from at least 10 different plugins but can only use one module from each (excluding the audio and recorder module)

I think constraints are neat and appreciate you running these challenges.

9 Likes

In a similar vein to @baconpaul - how about a restriction on the most popular module manufacturers?

I find myself using the same VCO, reverb, VCA, etc just because they’re familiar but there’s a ton of modules I’ve not tried, or tried but didn’t get on with.

So no VCV (apart from Audio), no Bogaudio, no Mindmeld, Impromptu, Audible Instruments, SurgeXT, Vult … is this a bad idea?

1 Like

Sounds like a great idea to me!

There are a lot of “sonifications” of received signals available from NASA, such as here - Sinister Sounds of the Solar System - NASA Science - and here: Audio and Ringtones - NASA

The latter seem to be more “musical” in how they were interpreted/processed.

1 Like

I think this restriction should be a bit different. Cause lots of VCOs are pretty much similar in what they do and how they do it. So to push people out of their comfort zone there should be a different rule. For example, not just “use a different/less popular oscillator”, but “use an oscillator that you wouldn’t use otherwise” or “use an oscillator that you are scared of” and also “use as many CV inputs as possible for your idea” (i.e. add CVs until it outputs noise or whatever, like a constant voltage or just 0v, and then disconnect one cable)… Something like that. Cause yeah, I can swap VCOs in my patch for some less popular ones with no problem and nobody would hear a difference. Same with VCAs and VCFs and whatever else. LFOs and sequencers. It’s all basically different skins for the same functionality (even if it is very different code-wise).

1 Like

I really like the idea of forcing you to use less always reach for modules

Here’s another idea. One of us bangs out a module that puts a random module from a random plugin excluding the “popular” list (happy to be included btw) and then you have 30 dice roles then you go. Or just write a tiny bit of code to spit out random full banks with random modules guaranteeing st lest 2 vcos 2 filters and 1 sequencer. And that’s the rack you are now sitting in front of. Something like that where loads of discretion is taken away and you have to deal

6 Likes

Interesting…

5 Likes

That was my idea as well when I opened the thread. Playfully forces you to get to know some new modules :slight_smile:

I generally like the idea of having rules for a “challenge”. but different rules for each challenge would be interesting.

NOOOOO!!!

But seriously, I love this idea! I’m thinking about this just for the hacker fun of making a json spitter outer that creates a patch I have to play.

1 Like

I would like to add a mixer, a delay, a reverb and a quantizer and …

yeah exactly. seed the challenge by running it 100 times and everyone has to use one of those racks unmodified except for cabling.

1 Like