Beta testing of Vult filters

Thank you for the reports. I have updated the binaries Release Improved filter versions · modlfo/VultModules · GitHub

I added a simple module called “Stress” that generates bursts of different signals and noise. I used it to test the filters. After the latest improvements I did not managed to break Tangents.

6 Likes

Leonardo, thank you.

The latest version fixed the ‘nanV’ output for me. The new STRESS module is super useful and fun to use, even when you accidentally use it as an VCO. Hope that this module will be included in the official release.

Finally, I have released a new version with the improvements to the filters!

17 Likes

Just to be clear, this update improves cpu use, and updates some of the filter profiles (sounds/tone)???

It improves the CPU use and the sound in higher frequencies.

5 Likes

Unfortunately they no longer scream. The “scream” patch now whistles. Sorry to have to be the one who complains. I will try to find a way to adjust it back. Thank you for your work. scream-02

1 Like

I’m using windows version of cnc rack, and have the sample rate at auto (48khz). I’m seeing 2.5% to 3% on vorg and tangents filters. It seams high to me. I’m using paid modules. Thanks

Leonardo, thank you for the update

I have a few observations to share:

1. The Vortex filter in the Freak module (‘software one’, not hardware labeled) is quiet operating above 192kHz.
  2. Lateralus (both ‘standalone’ and inside of Freak module) is generating noticeable amount of noise operating at 768kHz, irrespective of the presence of input signal.

1. Ferox, Boomstick, Nitrous, and Tangents (as part of Freak module too) appear to lose noticeable low-end frequency power operating at 768kHz compared to 96kHz. Other Vult filters seems do not lose that much of low-end frequency.

2. It appears that the Rescomb module may not be fully optimized for higher frequency operations. The resulting delays seem to be shorter than expected.

Apologies for not reporting these during the beta test.

Can you send me the patch so I can compare the before and after. The new simulation method that I’m using in the filters dampens higher frequencies (a little bit like anti-aliasing). I may be able of reducing the impact.

1 Like

I usually do not test the filters at such high sample rates. In all the filters I have to introduce a little bit of noise, otherwise they will not self-oscillate. I haven’t check lately what’s the minimum necessary.

The CPU consumption is dynamic. If you have are using the filters with high resonance and cutoff above 70% you’ll experience the worst case of CPU consumption. When lowering the resonance or cutoff the consumption should go down. In my computer, Tangents goes as low as 0.1% in some settings.

1 Like

Here is the patch. I was working with it when I accepted the update, and it worked before, but not after the update. I’ve used that scream patch in several of my creations. I hope it’s not gone forever. Thank you for your attention to this matter. :frowning: scream-01.vcvs (7.5 KB)

1 Like

I gave it a quick test. It seems like the resonance levels are a bit lower. Increasing the resonance in the new models should produce a sound that’s similar than before. I’ll try to match the levels of the new and old for the next release.

5 Likes

The latest release is definitely sounding much more tame than before. Good to see you will revert it back to the old rougher screamy sound!

2 Likes

Sigh, it’s ok, don’t bother with making changes due to me. I tried increasing the resonance, and a bunch of other tweaks, but it’s nothing like it was, at least I can’t get it back to where it was. Maybe it’s time for me to move on from the screaming banshee vcv hack? I should probably make a note on the patchstorage site for Criatura de la Oscura, explaining the creature now whistles. :slight_smile: Seriously, I strongly believe everything’s going to be alright… probably…

Or… you could make a new module that uses the old filter profiles, hides all the unnecessary stuff, and call it the screamer or something… haha! there’s no other module like that. :wink:

Just saw the Vult modules are updated, does your scream scream again ?

I reverted the changes in Vorg.

4 Likes

I found an issue with the DISJOINT DJ-style filter. The filter performance changes with the sample rate.

48kHz:

96kHZ:

Notice that the overall loudness of the signal increases with increased sample rate. It sounds like the frequency of the filter is shifting.

Simple patch to reproduce: vult_samplerate_issue.vcv (1016 Bytes)

You know the default on spectrum is “Good”, which is a polite way of saying “terrible”. In general I always set the quality to ultra. Not that it matters here….

1 Like