Best mouse for VCV?

Hey!

I actually chatted up a physical therapist based on this advice, and as a result of this and my new Kung fu grip mouse, I’m almost healed up. Anyways, I just wanted to say thanks, and way to blame the victim man.:+1: I lost some antecedents in Poland during the 40s. Maybe if they did sprints more oft— :grinning:

Seriously. Thank you all. I would have hated to lose you guys.

2 Likes

There is a clever, poignant (the first two I admit begrudgingly) and ultimately upsetting joke that may apply here- Guy walks into a doctors office, says to the doctor ‘Doc,’ he says, ‘It hurts when I do this…’

You know the rest, but a PT I spoke to about something similar to the topic says that she is constantly treating repeat um customers(?) who come back with the same complaints of pain that may be in entirely different parts of the body, but are down to the same cause: their job.

“I love VCV Rack” hardly explains my feelings for this program, and those involved on both sides, but I am a musician first. I am lucky enough to have found a solution to this problem of mine, but if I hadn’t, I wouldn’t put myself through constant misery and possibly hurt my bass or keyboard playing as a result. @OhWell makes a pretty good point that slight pain in my hand could be treatable; it could also be a warning in some cases.

Maybe a VCV secretary would be an option :thinking:

1 Like

Wait, what?

So for a DAW, with keyboard shortcuts, do I type with my left, and if so, do I reach over or under my right arm?

You mean for ctrl-click etc? Yes, I type ctrl with my left hand and click with my right hand. The right arm goes over the left. It seems a little complicated and it takes a short while to get used to, but it really helps.

Speaking as a mac user, I used to use the mighty mouse, which I quite liked, despite the roller ball issues that resulted in periodic replacement. When they were no longer available I switched to the magic mouse, and the need to squeeze it more, combined with increased guitar playing outside of work meant I was getting all kinds of carpal tunnel issues anytime my mouse use increased. Which it would with hard coding projects that required lots of clicking around reading old code, or graphic design where all the work was in the mouse hand, and much later VCV. The best design I found was Evoluent’s Vertical Mouse 4, it was recommended to me by someone who had tried a number of alternatives, and I’ve tried a number as well, but that one is the best, in my opinion. You get a handshaking style of grip on the mouse, and I use Karabiner on the mac to configure the mouse keys. Evoluent used to have a driver with configuration, but macOS kept changing so they recommended third party, which I can understand, as writing new drivers every year is unsustainable when you’re also trying to make hardware for a low-quantity product.

It’s not as versatile with scrolling as the magic mouse, but, using shift and command I can scroll up and down, left and right, in and out, and I can also click the central button to drag the view around. It’s my favorite mouse. After covid quarantines I had to buy another one after trying some cheaper alternatives that just weren’t as good. But vertical mouse is the way to go, in my opinion, and of the options, I prefer evoluent, though I think there are a variety of options to try in case a different one suits you better.

Best advice anybody ever gave me though, I have had trouble going back to any different options on on any of my serious work machines once I adopted it. It remains very much like a mouse though, you don’t have to switch working styles, like you would with a trackball or a trackpad, and is very easy to get used to.

Oh, I finally read back and realized you found the same solution, which one did you wind up with?