Befaco modules development blog

oh, sorry, I don’t mean to nag about that more often that once per year. And no, I do not wish to patch this. When I made my EV-3 copy of even years ago it was a lot of work to add the limited sync that I added. Back then Fundamental VCO-1 was not a minBlep VCO, it was a 16X oversampled VCO, so I didn’t think I could steal that code directly.

I would think now it wouldn’t be too difficult to take the sync code from Fundamental and use it directly.

I do think that since this bug has been open for a little over four years it might be time to either fix it or forever remove the non-functioning jack from the panel? https://github.com/VCVRack/Befaco/issues/6

2 Likes

Wouldn’t it have been easier to merge the fix if it was in a separate PR?

It’s kind of trivial, but being lumped in with the new ported module makes it much less trivial to review/test/approve. → https://github.com/VCVRack/Befaco/pull/31/commits/76822a25c035357ae0f9348798dd1a86702ca1ca

I suspect that might actually take longer to get back in the library. There are a few delays in the release cycle at the moment, and the hope is that this PR can go through in a oner. I don’t think seperate PRs would be any faster, but could be wrong.

1 Like

Fixed a VST crash for Noise Plethora, and fixed a few Muxlicer bugs - chained Muxlicers wouldn’t work, and sometimes the first step would repeat. I think it is all connected to uses of the One Shot/Reset input. I have my own tests (e.g. below), but I would much appreciate it if any willing testers could verify that this fixes it for them / doesn’t introduce new issues. :bowing_man:

Builds: Releases · hemmer/Befaco · GitHub

EDIT: there is still an issue - the following should play the 7th step (but doesn’t with the new fix). Investigating:

6 Likes

Tracked down the issue(s), and refactored a bit. It was a combination of things, but handling 1-sample delays gracefully was part of it (using the suggested 1ms grace period, but in a slightly unconventional way).

Latest build, or any dated after this post, should hopefully now have an improved Muxlicer.

muxlicer_bug_test.vcv (3.2 KB)

Test patch:

1 Like

I’ve had a response to the PR for Noise Plethora, so hopefully we’re nearly there. The only functional change is to improve the program/bank knob for Noise Plethora (after I spotted the Endless Knob thread) - this is now more in line with the hardware, and doesn’t behave unintuitively when under CV control. Preview builds in the usual place, full changelog for this release:

Noise Plethora
    Initial release
Chopping Kinky
    Upgraded to use improved DC blocker
Spring Reverb
    Added bypass
Kickall
    Allow trigger input and button to work independently
EvenVCO
    Fix to remove pop when number of polyphony engines changes
Muxlicer
    Chaining using reset now works correctly

Also a user pointed out that having CV control of program be addressable / consistent is more useful than old behaviour, I’ve also pushed a fix enable this (demo here: Release Noise Plethora (v2.1.0 release) · Issue #29 · VCVRack/Befaco · GitHub).

10 Likes

It’s hard to get CV control to work intuitively alongside a multifunction knob. Github user @tastez has helped me refine the behaviour. Now a little different to the hardware but I will take some creative license to make things hopefully more intuitive - I’ve basically followed how Plaits Model CV input works (of course MI has a clever / intuitive interface UX).

Video here, new builds to try on GH.

All being well, hoping to submit to the library in the next couple of days. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Happy to hear we are closer.

Hi,

After update from 2.0.0 to 2.1.0 the module Noise Plethora is not visible in the library Befaco group. (win10) I tried with removing the Befaco folder in the plugins folder, but it has no effect after a new update. What can i try more? Thank you, Kris.

If you go to the library page directly, does it give you the option to + Add it? This might be the add individual vs subscribe all thing?

Yes, that did the trick! Thank you hemmer! Now i can finally start experimenting with my patreon patch from Omri :slight_smile: Tried also before with the winplugin 2.1.0 from the assets folder, after installing suddenly VCV library reversed back to 2.0.0. But now it’s working :slight_smile: thanks.

@Kris Great!

FYI, Befaco have also posted a Noise Plethora demo patch on their site for those looking for patch ideas: VCV Rack - Befaco

1 Like

@hemmer Cool, i def check it out! Cheers!

@Omri_Cohen pointed out that grit knob acts in reverse on production hardware Noise Plethora’s (mine was an early version that is backwards). This way is more intuitive (left very little noise, right white noise), and increasing voltage increases noise density (can ping it with envelopes etc).

It does mean that behaviour of patches using grit noise might change slightly (set the knob to 1-value to restore), but I think it’s much better this way round (plus it’s only out a couple of days). Apologies for the trouble! Hopefully a fix should be in the library soon.

2 Likes

Attention to Detail! I like it. :100:

1 Like

Keen beans might be interested to pull changes on my latest branch. Won’t be doing preview builds for this, hopefully will get it in the library pretty pronto!

6 Likes

Ooh hoo hooooooooo looks fun!

BTW I had absolutely no idea you developed Befaco too, this man is straight up running VCV

1 Like

Thanks! But not true :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. Also to clarify, Andrew did the first set of Befaco and I’ve done everything since Percall.

2 Likes

Ah, I see I see

Hi @hemmer ! If you have any projects for a port of the new AC/DC (which would make total sense … but only for the module’s owners) we have designed a USB port in the component library, It has been here from the start and has never been used before as far as I know, so don’t hesitate to pick it up :smiley: You might have to change the gradient direction ton make an horizontal version, but it should work