ATOMS and unless games v1 release

Bringing unless_modules back to Rack v1!

Piong and Mr.Chainkov is here and there is a fresh one as well!

atoms

What started as a joke about concentric knobs turned into…

ATOMS

it might still be a joke but it is also an adjustable rotating octa-switch.

below I paste the manual I have so far…

The module works as a complex switch, it channels inputs into outputs, both of which are placed on two rotating layers and connected if they are close enough to each other based on their individual ranges (shown as arcs between them). The central knobs can be used to rotate layers and to adjust channels on them. You can toggle between adjusting ranges or positions (the latter mode shows a ring around the edge of the two layers). To adjust electrons you need to drag them like knobs.

There are four modes which you can selected by clicking letters on the “ATOMS” title. All modes except Mixer connects only one input to any output.

A ttack, Anti-pop or Audio

This mode applies a short anti-pop fade attack to counter pops when switching between connections.

T riggers

This mode is primarly for mixing trigger or gate signals, it can produce pops when used for audio. It treats unplugged inputs as 10V gates for creating a sort of gate sequencer.

O

M ixer

Mixes any input that is within range and also sets their volume accordingly, this can be used as a circular spatial mixer for example, or in cases when you dont want sharp cuts between switches to occur. It has the highest cpu usage out of all the modes!

S equencer or Sample

To be used as a sequencer or a sample&hold thing. Simple as Trigger mode but instead of dropping back to zero when a connection is lost, outputs stay on the last value that came from an input.

Unused inputs can be used to modulate individual positions or ranges, to select these you need to assign the port to an electron by dragging to it from the port’s button. You can assign to mod positions or ranges like this, it depends on which mode you are when assigning. Unused outputs can output things like distance to pair in the 0-10V range but you can also switch between input or output port with right-clicking their button.

The e- and e+ buttons equalize input or output layers, right-clicking adds or removes a snapshot of the position/range configuration which can be selected by the smallest knob in the center.

In the right-click menu you can choose to switch to audio-rate pairing which you should only do if you want to modulate positions or layers at audio rate as it uses a lot more cpu!

! alpha version ! might contain bugs

Disclaimer : the Bohr model might look funky but this module (and the model) is inaccurate in representing the real world. Do not use this as a tool for understanding physics unless you are making study-beats with it.

Get it from the Plugin Manager

thanks to the build team!

13 Likes

This brilliant and playful module is the kind of thing software is perfect for. Outside the box and lovely.

What came first - the interface concept or the utility idea? I love how the functionality of the module is so instantly visible and intuitive.

Just playing with this now and I already have a piece that I’m thinking about recording (it’s not a great piece but it’s alright).
But.
Why does it change color?
And why doesn’t the cv in the “O” of atoms do anything?
edit: so, i don’t think i read the manual right at all and didn’t get that the switch that points to the letters of atoms indicates the mode. The clicking on the letters thing is also non obvious, could they maybe change color when they’re selected?
second edit: see below, i’ve figured some of it out (with some instruction).

1 Like

Just trying to help…
Make a setup in atoms, right-click the e+ button and you have the next snapshot .
If you hover over the central circle it says 2 or if you have “digits” on in the right-click menu you see it immediately.
Now you can change this snapshot again and right-click the e+ button.
You now have 3 snapshots, they all have a different colour.
You can change between snapshots with your mouse by using the central circle and move up/down,
or you connect a cv to the O input. 0v-10v moves through all your snapshots, or use a sample and hold etc…
Hope this helped a little…

1 Like

Just before i looked at your message I’d messed with clicking the autohints and it changed color.
edit: I really should have read all of your message before i started messing about, right clicking on the e+ button really confused me. I get it all now. Thanks.

1 Like

@christian thanks! the interface concept came first (not this final form more like “what would happen if I tried stacking many knobs together?”) then when I had the need for the utility I realized I could link the two together.

@dag2099 you mean they could change color when they are hovered over, right? Which one is selected is shown by the line that goes to the letter. Thought the hint text at the bottom would be informative enough, listing the functions behind the letter (as long as you haven’t disabled hints (maybe this shouldn’t be an option at all?)).
I’ll look into a bit more visual feedback.
The rest is how Yeager said (thx for the help).
I’m not sure about the need of this whole snapshotting thing tho (it is quite untested as well), so tell me if it’s of any use to you.

1 Like