Apple Silicon M1 - system-on-a-chip to Rule Them All.

has there been any news on official support for apple silicon/arm ? will it be supported in 2.0?

Its running pretty well for me under Rosetta, a performance boost from native support would be welcome!

I know I can build it myself, but the reason I want native support is, Ive started ‘investing’ in some of the ‘premium’ modules, so want those to be native (which of course won’t happen until an official release). … if thats unlikely to happen, then I guess, as much as I like vcv, I’ll go use something else.

(not really an issue at the moment since others are not yet native either :wink: )

3 Likes

11.2 fixed some HDMI issues i was seeing, and enabled my attached screen to go full res. :slight_smile:

(And side-loading apps from the iPad through iMazing is still possible!)

2 Likes

unfortunately, Im still seeing the same issue with (some) scaled resolutions - its still pretty much unusable. on the positive side, if I switch to the full resolution its fine (albeit the module browser is very hard to read as everything is too small)

Stoermelder MB will help with the graphics, but not the text, in the module browser ?

1 Like

cool, perhaps that may help - but really its the text that is the issue.

I was kind of waiting for vcvrack 2.0 which i believe is scheduled to have a better browser - but there doesn’t seem to be any info on when that might be available.

im a little confused about what gets supported by vcvrack, as had issues on all platforms. on mac - seems like no scheduled arm support. on windows - vcvrack wont support touchscreens. on linux - vcvrack does not interface directly with jack (unlike bitwig)

always seems to be ‘close’ but lacking, and I dont think any of this is planned to be changed in 2.0

I get that its free, but honestly, id prefer to pay for it, and have it support these things.

1 Like
2 Likes

don’t some of the obscure settings help this problem? I know on linux I always need to turn off mouse capture (or something like that).

Wonder how long it will take for people to ask for, or actually modify this version iPad to run Big Sur Arm.

VCV on an M1 Ipad Pro 12.9 would be a dream…

Brain goes Brrrrrrrrr: You love your iPad Pro 11 from 2018 - it is running like a dream - You don’t need a new one - you have drambo, which is good replacement for VCV - do not buy it - DO NOT BUY IT !!!

1 Like

Brain goes Brrrrrrrrr: You love your iPad Pro 11 from 2018 - it is running like a dream - You don’t need a new one - you have drambo, which is good replacement for VCV - do not buy it - DO NOT BUY IT !!!

If it helps ward of the temptation, just have the rational side of your brain tell the other side that you definitely don’t need a new iPad until there is an iOS version of VCV.

1 Like

That’s what I’m telling myself …

I love the M1 Macbook Air from a user perspective (I hate, hate, hate Big Sur as a developer, but that’s a different story). I spent three hours on a flight last weekend switching between VCV, Voltage Modular, and Bitwig, and my battery was still around 75%. I haven’t really hit any Rosetta 2 compatibility issues yet. It’s a really nice piece of hardware.

5 Likes

I have one of those ancient iPads still running fine…

I would like to hear about some of those pain points, if you don’t mind?

Really, it’s just a continuation of the security tightening that started with Catalina. It takes a few hours to get things set up correctly for development, and even then you’ll hit annoying snags.

This is primarily because I develop plugins for a living… if I did standalone executables it would be less annoying. Here’s an example:

If I want to attach a debugger to Ableton Live, I have to run a third-party script to change the application’s entitlements to permit that (Simple Utility Script for allowing debug of hardened macOS apps. · GitHub). This is because it is a “hardened” runtime. Of course, Ableton updates itself periodically, so I have to run that script every so often whenever I debug Ableton or other hardened hosts. REAPER distributes a non-hardened version. Of course, the first time you run it, you have to go through a bunch of “are you sure?” prompts.

Additionally, when I’m preparing a plugin to send to users, I have to go through the extra notarization step. This is mostly handled via scripts, but the notarization server can take anywhere from 1 minute to a few hours to respond. On Windows, I just compile the plugin, run the local AAX codesign, and send it off.

But, as a user: Last night I had a decent VCV patch going, and I ignored it for a bit while diving through the various Mind Meld manuals to learn all sorts of features I didn’t know about. VCV ran for about an hour in the background, and the battery prompt displayed “No apps using significant energy”. All told, I used about 10% of my battery last night while reading PDFs, browsing the internet, and running VCV simultaneously. These chips are the real deal, but the operating system doesn’t trust me to know what I’m doing.

5 Likes

Yeah, M1 is pretty amazing regarding performance per watt.

And yeah, security is getting increasingly harder, as the criminals are getting smarter and nastier, and the system increasingly has difficulty telling you apart from the bad guys, when the bad guys are just running as you. It’s not helped by decades of deliberately dumbing down users, to the point that they have no idea what they’re doing, they just click. It’s a sad situation.

1 Like

Yes, but apple could have a way to allow devs to do what they need to do to make their own software and still have the system secure for normal users. It’s pretty clear that they don’t much care if it’s difficult to develop software for their computers. I will say that that for a large developer of applications (not plugins) it’s only a small headache.

1 Like

To me this shows the extra levels of security on the Mac OS, and conversely, the lack thereof in Windows. I know it’s a PITA for you developers but as a user I value the extra security.

Please believe me that you can have all that security for users, in this case not running unsigned code, while still making it easy for devs to program. Here’s a dumb idea, but at least proof that this is true: a setting in the security panel that says “please trust any code that is signed with my own personal public key”. Then make it easy for sign the software with a local (made up) key. boom. And I’ll bet APL could come up with something much better.

4 Likes

That makes sense

1 Like