VCV modules: oscillators/LFOs with phase?

As far as I know there are no oscillators or LFOs with a phase setting. If there is one please let me know.

Why is that so? Maybe this is hard to achieve in a physical modular synth, or it’s hard to code… but I think the resettable oscillators should have a phase adjustment knob, especially the LFOs.
I would like to be able to create repeatable rhythms with LFOs and sometimes repeatable synth hits with adjustable phases.

Is just realised tidal modulator 2 can adjust the phase… thread solved! :slight_smile:
in the phase mode it can shift phases on the 4 outputs… on the 3rd output it’s 180° in either direction and on the 4th a bit more… so this is my favourite LFO now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I overlooked the ones with multiple phased outputs… bogaudio is another one… so… this thread can be deleted… everything fine with the oscillators :slight_smile:

There’s no point in deleting this thread, someone else might have the same question. I don’t know if it’s what you need but Nysthi Phasor lets you set the “phase” of each harmonic.

2 Likes

Right now I’m just in a phase where I want to face phased LFOs to phrase a phrase…

3 Likes

nysthi::lfomultiphase has 8 fixed phases out + one that is FREE phase and modulable with its VCA an its IN CV
(you can modulate shapes and PWM too. you can clock it, you can retrig it
you can write you preferred BPM (120 bpm?) or you preferred sisxteenth per minute 256spm
o just set th Hz 100.0037 Hz… )

3 Likes

very nice! thanks!
on the pulsewave the different outputs have different pulsewidths, the pulsewidth changes with the phase, is that intentional?

Sorry, I misread the original post and missed the bit about LFOs, otherwise I would’ve immediately mentioned LFOmultiphase. I use it a lot for creating harmonic tremeloe.

no, the PW is guaranteed correct only at 0 deg
the other PW are a by-product: they exists but are not mathematically correct

Xycloid (DHE-Modules) has a phase knob that affects one of its two sine waves. But it’s a damned peculiar LFO.

And there’s Bogaudio 8FO

and Submarine’s PO-102 :wink:

Audible Instruments:Segment Generator can offset the phase of any LFO, like this:

• Put the output of the LFO into the “time/level” plug of a segment.
  • Click the button on the segment twice to get it into Hold-mode (red LED).
  • Adjust the slider on the segment all the way down.
  • Dial the “shape/time” knob of the segment to the right/left to push the phase of the signal backward/forwards.

There’s unfortunately a downside though - Segment Generator clips signals at 8V (not 10) so the signal has to be scaled/attenuated first :-/

2 Likes

Interesting, thanks!

By the way: A use case for adjusting the phase of an audio rate oscillator is creating a consistent kick drum, I tried using NYSTHI’s LFO at audio rate for that and it works fine. I did this by just entering a frequency of around 60Hz manually.

1 Like

Timing a reset will give you just about any phase also.

For VCO phase reset, if your VCO is already restarting from 0 phase at the start of each new note (from a trigger/gate to it’s hard sync input for example) then just delay the amplitude envelope (Nysthi Xatto or Elsker is ideal for this) and you get any phase you want from 0-360, this precision is obviously ideal for designing certain bass-lines and kicks as you mention. You can either calculate the delay times to match exact phase positions or adjust it manually. :slightly_smiling_face: