Announcing Polyphonic Macro Oscillator 1 / 2 beta

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I understand a desire to set a standard in the library in order to avoid a deep sea of similar-looking or plainly low-effort panels.

I would like to clarify that in this case permission was sought and received directly from Émilie, rather than relying only on the included license, and my uncanny valley design contribution was conditional upon that approval. If I’ve made anyone uncomfortable, I sincerely apologize.

4 Likes

Whether it’s in the library or not I’m pulling & building it as soon as there’s a separate LPG control, I’d use this so often. Thanks for working on this!

You know, I feel Braids could stand to be re-imagined for the digital world further. HP, knobs and jacks can be spent without any monetary consideration. I’m thinking about navigation in particular. I’m always using right-click to pick the mode, because it’s hard to remember what the 16 icons (that are too small on my standard dpi display to distinguish) do. What if there was an easier to use list of modes, letting us change the model by sending trigs and using individual pushbuttons?

Just one random frustration I have with the original. I think the best way to distinguish expanded clones is to rethink them as virtual-first modules, to acknowledge what a mouse pointer makes harder to do, while embracing the absence of budgetary limitations.

@vortico would Joni still be accepted in the library as-is today, or is it grandfathered in?

3 Likes

Is there still something missing in the LPG controls in the Poly fork of the “Plaits/Macro Oscillator 2”? (I think me and xandermogue already exposed those all into the front panel…) What do you mean by “LPG control” exactly? Separate input port that can be used as the LPG control signal instead of the internal generator?

I think you also meant “Plaits” in the second paragraph? But your post prompted me to look also into “Braids” closer and it looks like the Audible Instruments port is missing various features compared to hardware version at the moment…(Granted, maybe those are not so interesting to enable in Rack context because other modules could probably also be used for those…)

Ah, the LPG thingie in the screenshot is in the repo already? My bad, thought it was just a concept right now. Will try it!

Yeah, always mistaking them both haha.

Yeah, the screenshot with the extra LPG controls was just a mockup at one point, but they are now in the module itself! :smiley: (Mostly thanks to xandermogue, also to Yeager who first proposed the new knobs should fit into the current module panel.)

1 Like

The way forward is to redesign the GUIs, in order to eventually get these into the Rack library. I can’t really estimate how long that will take. If I need to do it myself, could be weeks-months and it still might not look that pretty in the end. If I can get some help with the panel redesigns, things might go faster and look better. (As far as I understood from Andrew’s posts, the new designs should not be just “skin” changes, though, the knobs and CV ports layouts should be new too…)

I would also be interested in proposals for new names for the modules (Braids, Plaits, Marbles) and the plugin itself. (I think “Mutable”, “Audible” and “Instruments” should not appear in the name.)

One of the reasons I’d like to have these in the library is to get binary builds for Mac Os (and Linux) in the future. My current Mac is getting old and might fail any day soon. When that happens, I won’t be able to release binary builds for Mac anymore. (That might also happen once Apple updates the OS to a point where plugins built on 10.13/Xcode 9 just won’t work anymore…Maybe they already don’t work on Catalina at this point anyway…?)

3 Likes

I hope you and @xandra-max go forward with the “Poly Plaits” and “Poly Braids”. I use them and find them to add a lush sound that isn’t in the the mono version. From my personal observation, Eurorack seems to be primarily a monophonic world. VCV opened up polyphonic possibilities with the release of v1 and I see a great value to extending monophonic modules into a polyphonic space. Hopefully the original developer will welcome and appreciate your improvements.

1 Like

you could ask one of the resident designers such as @pyer or @steve if they are interested in taking on this project.

as for the naming, i could brainstorm that and come up with some suggestions. or you could announce a contest or something.

3 Likes

Looking forward to vcp naming challenge using one of the polyphonic modules and give the patch a name dedicated to the module. The amount of people regularly participating might drop something usefull, who knows.

Oh yeah I would love to, @Xenakios let’s do this!

16 Likes

The problem with a naming a polyphonic Plaits is that plaits themselves are already multistranded. You’d need an even more interlocking hairstyle. Cornrows is obviously taken by Southpole.

1 Like

Dreadlocks?

6 Likes

Can’t we save that for a mad delay module?

Off topic: Been playing with U-He Colour Copy today, would LOVE to see that recreated in rack.

5 Likes

weave (artificial hair integration).

A hair weave is a type of hair extension method where hair wefts are sewn onto braided hair and styled to any desired style.

2 Likes

Mullet?

3 Likes

if it has to be a plaits/braid related name then maybe fishbone?

1 Like

PoMaOs 1/2 ?

Suggestions:

• Plaits: Mesh
  • Marbles: Pearls

If ever there are other modules to come:

• Braids: Lavar (swedish translation)
  • Clouds: Virgae
3 Likes

Definitely should be a mad delay module

1 Like

name suggestions: