Angelical Organic Voices?

Do you mean something like what I did here?

For that I used the Choir VST from Spitfire LABS (it’s free) in the VCV Host module (not free).

4 Likes

Yes it does sound very good but was thinking along the lines of actual synthesis of the choir sound made in the rack. A lot harder venture I have discovered, spent most of today going through mine and other people’s patches from Patchstorage, nearest I have found to anything real sounding is Runcell’s Synchoir patch. I have Host and downloaded Spitfire labs Choir but it said I had to download the Spitfire sampler, is that how it works it’s magic? Is your patch on Patch storage?

Yes :heart: Beautiful man.

1 Like

not angelical, more or less dwarfs singing here :thinking:

2 Likes

Sounds better than I have made so far! Is the patch played by midi keyboard? The patch available if not I can always reconstruct it. It looks rather a simple patch but great sounds! So is the Equal Divisions providing the microtonal element?

Yes, it is improvised on a midi keyboard and my module makes it sound microtonal :star_struck:

For sounding more or less human, the formant filter module does the job.

About the theory behind formants: Timbral Analysis & Orchestration

1 Like

Nice! They say it’s slightly more realistic to drive a formant filter with a low pitched narrow pulse wave - I guess vocal cords are like that? Doesn’t mean it sounds better, of course :wink:

2 Likes

Yes, there’s a slight difference in the timbre. I like the sound of the saw wave because it gives a bit more ‘flesh’ to the voice.

1 Like

I like your Formants but how can you give it some ‘movement’ feeding it pulse waves is something I have not tried. Which pulse generator would you recommend? Putting the saw into it sounds a good idea as well Ahornberg, where do you plug that into!?

well, a) I don’t use these much, I just make them :wink: but b) the most dramatic way to add some movement it modulate the formant input (the one at the top left). You will see the LEDs follow the CV. Or modulate any other CV inputs. Or put the movement into the input to the filter my mixing different sources into it?

1 Like

So would a slow Lfo give it a bit of movement? Also arpeggiator added afterwards, quantiser etc.

I’d try any of those things. Also there are a bunch of great “random” generators off all kinds in VCV “Caudal” and “Walk” are popular, but there are tons more. My “LFN” does this, too, but you might start with more popular ones of get suggestions from people.

Perhaps try the instruo complex oscillator and blend between saw and square, and or square and pulse. (This module might make it easy to try a lot.) Modulating between all these options might give a good bit of variation to drive a formant filter. :slight_smile:

1 Like

No, I didn’t have to download any sampler when I installed it. Only the Spitfire Audio app which manages the download of the VST’s.

Sorry it was the app but that just lets u download more content so not so bad! Not tried the vsts yet! Will try run them through Fruity Loops and then try Host. Happy times ahead, Covid permitting! Stay safe and sound Lars.

1 Like

I had this synth choir patch laying around and never posted it. I removed all the LFOs and mapped the formant filter to the MW. Also added a master control knob for the filter cutoff for the other 4 VCFs. If you keep playing with the formant and low pass filters together, you might come up with something you like.

2 Likes

Another option for a formant filter is the Vox Inhumana from Frozen Wasteland. It allows morphing between any two vowel sounds and CV control of the individual formants. You can pair it with the Everlasting Glottal Stopper which attempts to simulate the vocal tract. image image

5 Likes

Thanks very much, I was going to ask you if you had any knowledge, info and even patches for choir synthesis. Hey presto, u have a patch. Hope u are feeling better and healthy.

Thanks, I have tried the everlasting Glottal Stopper [one heck of a good name] in the past but never all together with the other two. Always go to try new methods. So what would give the sounds vocal movement, Lfos, pulses, saws and randomness have all been suggested above. Happy days! Hope u and yours are well and safe!