Ambient Morph Challenge (February 2024)

Ambient Morph Feb 2024.vcv (16.7 KB)

Here’s my humble submission. So many false starts on this one. I decided to get out of my head and just have fun. It doesn’t really hit all the criteria 100% but I quite like the result. I went for a minimalism type thing. Major7 chords cycle through the circle of 5ths. There are ten voices that play different roles in outlining the harmony and/or implying a lydian scale over each chord. Each voice has a LFO hooked of to a LPF that cycles at slightly different slow rates. The filters swallow up the voices at different times basically creating unique combinations over time. The dead line caught up with me, but ways to my patch more in line with the challenge would be: have slower and randomised LFO/phase relationships, more rhythmic possibilities, texture modulation (there is none), chords other than major 7’s, lots of other stuff! The ever changing patch remains out of reach for me :slight_smile:. Thanks for the challenge @Alphagem-O.
Looking forward to checking out everyones work.

8 Likes

You have inspired me to take a crack at this (I will definitely NOT make the deadline). I may never even produce anything worthy of release. My hope is to have a relatively simple slow constant sequence that persists throughout the piece at a constant tempo, and use other evolving voices to change the key and time signatures around it to create totally different moods. I will probably allow the constant voice to change volume and timbre, but that would be it.

2 Likes

I’m sure patches will be welcome and appreciated even thereafter. Inspiration has never been a friend of timelines.

Good Luck @DaveVenom. To me this sort of ‘ever changing patch’ idea is one of those things I’ll probably have a go at forever. It’s one of the larger, pure Rack riddles I haven’t wrapped my head around. Hope you have fun with it. Also, I’m glad I could be of some inspiration :). Cheers.

Cool, I like the shift around the 3:30 point. Has cool desolate vibe. Having lots of fun listening to the submissions!

1 Like

Great! A really interesting mix of elements. It feels very colourful to me. Love the stuttering swell thing around the 2 minute mark.

I was pleased to hear your patch in full stereo. I find the ascending and descending tempo very sophisticated. Not distracting at all. Very rich in variety.

And what’s the next step here? Will we get a prize or something? In any case, it was instructive and that’s important to me.

1 Like

I listened to your patch again today. it’s a wonderful, quiet environment where you can dream away. The mix is also great. I like it where everything is wide and not like some people have everything in mono.

1 Like

Nice rhythm change. I liked it. Makes me think of a couple of elves flying around a fountain and chattering about the lunatic neighbours who stole the foliage everywhere again last night

Yes, it’s true…you have to let the patch run for a really long time before anything happens. After I downloaded your patch, I added more reverb.

I think this was a very successful piece - ever changing and yet staying with a consistent theme. I very much enjoyed it.

1 Like

Thanks for the the checking it out! Most of the challenges don’t really function like competition. Just a great way to work with restrictions and check out each other work. Though Alphagem-O might offer some closing thoughts. Guess we’ll wait and see.
Cheers.

As Matthew pointed out, the Challenges are meant to be non-competitive.

Nevertheless, I see many potential incentives to participate, such as to explore new, possibly unorthodox ways of patching, to learn about less familiar modules and techniques, to practice dealing with restrictions, to showcase your ideas and competency, to inspire others and learn from them, or simply to have fun!

Or, as @ablaut nicely expressed it in his announcements to past VCP challenges, “you can also win eternal fame!” :smile:.

I am in the process of carefully listening through all submissions again and in parallel look at the patches.

I can already tell that all of them are great and, because there is so much variety, are worth studying in more detail.

All patches hold a number of pleasant surprises and half of the time, I don’t even understand what is going on at first, LOL!

Hope I will be able to post additional thoughts soon.

2 Likes

Thank you again to everyone for your beautiful, enjoyable patches!

Here I am summarizing some of my learnings and thoughts, although I am sure the analysis could be expanded much further. I studied every patch, followed cables backwards from the mixer to the clock, and muted/soloed individual voices to understand their contributions to the overall sound.

@Chinenual: Very smooth, levitated feeling; exquisite sound design; partly sample-based (ambient noise?; not included); good sense of progression through volume fades and timbre changes; smooth transitions; good timing; mixing accomplished externally from stems (Logic); two Slips (alef’s bits) as well as NoteSeqFu (JW) as central drivers/sequencers for arps and melodies; variations supported by 8Face and Transit (both stoermelder); Tintinnabulator (Chinenual) for Arvo Pärt-like harmonization is a revelation; PolyVoltageMeter (NYSTHI) to neatly display LFO motion on a small footprint; a low-frequency saw wave fed through Sapphire’s Elastika for growls, and the same saw wave through a LP filter for bass drone; smooth organ pad using Organ Three (Squinky Labs).

@stewart: Good sense of progress; feeling of increased tension as time goes on; two voices: arp and an ambient bass, each created with XFX Wave (Blamsoft); time is the main element of change: arp speeds up over time while its structure changes; speed guided by VC Pulse Divider (Count Modula), driven with Seriously Slow LFO (Frozen Wasteland) as a phasor; chords created with three quantizers (VCV), arp with differently set signal delays (AS); 8Seq (JW) as sequencer; patch culminates in a noise swell (noise dialed up in XFX Wave), which is triggered when the phasor value is within a set range (two formulas in Submarine’s AO-106).

@Luca-Feelgood: Very smooth sounds; fluent blending of voices; serene feeling; based on soundtrack of Blade Runner; sounds are ebbing and flowing nicely; lots of modulations through LLFO and Walk (both by Bogaudio); choir sample in Complex Simpler (NYSTHI), run through Texture Synthesizer (Audible Instruments); Cruïnn (Instruō) for sawy bass pad; Resonator (Audible Instruments) for guitar-like plucks; Red noise through Elastika as SFX; Countdown 3 (Count Modula) provides timers for arrangement.

@henk.lasschuit: Feels very contemplative; random variety, always waiting for some unexpected change to happen; melody (plucky sine wave, VCO by VCV), chords (triangle wave, VCO by VCV; triads created from root, major 3rd and perfect 5th using Harmony by Sonus Dept.) and bass (square wave with PWM, VCO by VCV); good balance of basic waveform timbres; transitions are occasionally a bit jumpy; modulated by Walk 2 (Bogaudio); patch needs time to develop: I left it running unattended for about 15 minutes and upon returning found it in full bloom; Form + ExTwo as mixer; two parallel basses, alternating based on a Comparator (Count Modula), which is fed with pitch information from Quantum (ML); notes in Quantum are constantly changing, randomly triggered and with stepped CV.

@Matthew_Paine_Music: Feels very pleasant, like flowing water; many changes through use of multiple clock divisions in parallel; chords plus interspersed arps at varying speeds + bass (Saws by Squinky Labs); voices driven by Chord-Key (Impromptu) and/or ADDR-SEQ (Bogaudio); arrangement by LLFO (Bogaudio) controlling the cutoff of a LP filter (LVCF by Bogaudio); timings from different clocks randomly selected via a sequential switch (Sequential Switch 8>1 by ML); hard panning of voices widens the stereo field; sequential switch (ML) is also used to guide varying voices into a delay send.

4 Likes

Thank you for your detailed description of all the patches. I am glad that everyone has their own style.

1 Like

Cheers, you totally nailed the working of my patch. Thanks for all the detail. Great to have a quick guide on others patches.

1 Like