ALM Busy Circuits CIZZLE

while I don’t expect a perfectly bug-free vcv, I expect more than every or nearly every paid module from a very respectable hardware company having each been presented with decently noticeable bugs.

here’s another take: this isn’t making ALM mad money, it’s a for-the-love project at best, and a marketing project more realistically. If I were introducing my brand to potential future clients, call me crazy but I would show muuuuch more care to present quality versions of modules I’m congruently selling for a lot of money…

maybe I’m being ridiculous. idk.

1 Like

I like it. Clever implementation and sounds great.

First non-Pam’s ALM port that I am tempted to purchase in hardware.

I don’t think you are being ridiculous. Case in point, ALMs brand do have suffered a bit, in my estimation, with all these bug reports coming since they dipped their toes in software-only commercial ventures.

Again I’ll try to clarify my posture. I think that overly criticizing freely given software, beyond helpful suggestions, or in case of developers, giving constant non solicited advice and hot takes on design, sound, and philosophical musings is rude and tasteless.

edit: freely given software. Free, no money exchanged, with whatever legalese the author decides to use.

I am in the same boat here. Freely given should certainly mean not expected and gladly received, always.

Well, support got back to me very quickly. I’m sending them some more info and will update this thread with anything they find.

2 Likes

As kind of a software veteran I learned/realized many many moons ago, that there is very little correlation between price and quality in software. It seems much more to do with the pride that developers and vendors take in their work, across the board. The best free products sometimes go head to head with the most expensive commercial products. I would say that the strongest correlation I have found is, that the biggest and most expensive products from the biggest commercial vendors have the highest chance of being crappy and buggy.

Expectation is a problematic thing with software, that is liable to cause much heartburn. Personally I have learned to expect very little as a baseline, from either free or commercial software, and to be pleasantly surprised when someone delivers the goods, and those are the ones I stick with, and they become easy to recognize because they have a certain attitude. Calling out BaconPaul, Marc Boulé, Pyer, Squinky, Leonardo and Steve Baker as some of my personal heroes here.

9 Likes

Hi all, we’d love to help! Please contact support@vcvrack.com

1 Like

For the record, I feel exactly the same way as Squinky. Free or paid, it doesn’t matter at all. If something doesn’t work, it doesn’t work.

Edit: and, in order to stay more on topic :wink: … I’ll note that ALM is in a category of “developers to be very wary of”, for me. Wouldn’t buy a new module from them unless it’s been out for a while and proven to be in a working condition, to use “in production”, so to speak. Their VCV modules offer great sound / creative potential, but have had much more showstopper bugs and functional problems than the majority of what I’ve tried in VCV.

I don’t mean small inconveniences, but actual “this thing spontaneously completely breaks down” kind of stuff. If/when they work they are great.

2 Likes

Watched the vids for Cizzle over the weekend. I like it a lot. Was pleased to see it was already available for VCV. Thinking it might be time to buy VCV Rack 2 :wink:

1 Like

@faastwalker you probably know this already but just saying…you can purchase premium modules and run them in standalone VCV, you don’t need to buy the Pro version too.

1 Like

@VirtualModular Ah, cool. I thought that was the case but wasn’t sure. I was thinking of buying VCV 2 so I can use as a plug-in. But, good to know I can use the free version first to try with pay for modules.