Aggressive industrial percussion

Hi all

Would anyone know how to start synthesizing this crushed percussion?

I do not really know how to define the sound and it is thus hard for me to google synthesis techniques.

The sound is said to be a live woodblock sample processed with a bitcrusher.

Thanks a lot!

Source article: https://www.attackmagazine.com/technique/beat-dissected/industrial-techno/

There are a few bitcrushers in VCV. Vult Debriatus is pretty strong but there are others.

Please take the following in the spirit of kindness rather than ill spirit. I genuinely wish you well in your endeavors.

Based on this quest and a previous question, I’m going to strongly suggest you work through the Sound-On-Sound Synth Secrets article series. You do seem to be missing a basic notion of nature of sound and how to approach its creation. Also, may I suggest not trying to simply duplicate the sounds of other music producers, but instead try to find your own voice.

1 Like

I think with enough bitcrushing and distortion anything can achieve a similar sound :slight_smile: But you could try with samples too, there are a few nice sample players in VCV, and also some good distortions/bitcrushers. Vult debriatus is indeed a good example.

I do disagree with this, and i think imitating and understanding “classic” sounds is the good way to learn, and once it’s done you’ll eventually develop your own sound :slight_smile:

3 Likes

connect the db to the flame , it is not a bit crush , is a distortion, and is killer

1 Like

i hear a mid tom and a closed hihat with a fair amount of analog distortion.

2 Likes

You already got decent answers, so please don’t get me wrong. I listened to the example and thought of the how-to drum video on youtube. At minute 8.27 he starts to use the noise module. At minute 10.51 he adds a filter, and while he tweaks the filter there is a very short sound similar to above. If lenghten t the release of the envelope module and fiddle with the filter, you might run into something you like. Again this is not a solution, just something i thought of and to fool with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7nLtiEGQf0

1 Like

Thanks for all your replies.

To be clear, I was looking for a way to synthesize the sound. I have experimented with taking a woodblock sample (@Olival_Clanaro) and running it through the stock Ableton Overdrive and Distortion units. I could not really get to a satisfying result this way.

I do agree I miss any foundation of sound design and do not have a trained ear (@caowasteland). I have read a lot of the SoS articles, including the bass drum one. The problem is that without asking here, I would never have thought of starting with a bass drum (misguided by the wood block description). The best I could think of thus for was filtering noise and passing it to Debriatus.

By looking at the answer, I see the general consensus is that the way to go for a similar sound is a classic drum kick setup - including noise - with heavy high end distortion processing (@mstep, @David)

I will start from the following sources and see how close I can get:

I have one further question: Should I run the complete sound through the distortion unit, or only the hi, noise part?

As a final note:

Also, may I suggest not trying to simply duplicate the sounds of other music producers, but instead try to find your own voice.

I think it really depends on what you are trying to achieve. If you want to make tracks like your favorite producer, trying to make something as similar as possible should be your goal. An easier way would probably be to work with samples, but it’s not necessarily because you are imitating someone that you can’t have or build an in depth knowledge of what you are doing. On the other hand, if you want to find your own style, I think you should still try to study other works - and work also includes sound design. In the end, I believe everyone is influenced by a whole lot of other artists, and even just things we hear in daily live. I thought until a week or two ago that trying to recreate other artists their sound would be lame. But I have actually learned way more in the past two weeks than all the other months before. It just seems a really practical way to discover new techniques.

2 Likes

I have one further question: Should I run the complete sound through the distortion unit, or only the hi, noise part?

i-d try both ways. another option would be to mix the dry and distorted signal.

1 Like