After upgrade to v1, Issues with paramQuantity and ParamWidget

I used your script @baconpaul to get the SDK and I still get a crash on restart, sometimes a crash on add, and sometimes a gray bpm knob and crash on click. So I am having all kinds of fun. If I add modules with no knobs they seem to work fine. And, why does it work for you? I have no idea what is going on.

I suspect it is something related to first initialization of paramQuantity when using old style code (using the rack0.hpp).
In some way the paramQuantity is not correctly inited and contains an invalid pointer.

1 Like

I think the same thing. Any idea what I can do about that?

1 Like

Iā€™ve successfully migrated about half of the modules in my plugin to v1 without ever using the compatibility header. Maybe you could try skipping straight to the rack.hpp include for the module that is giving you trouble. It looks like your plugin uses a lot of shared components from your JWModules.hpp. I use a lot of shared components as well and I ended up commenting out everything I could to fix the errors one by one. Best of luck!

Ok I will try to move on to phase 2 and see if that helps. Thank you everybody.

1 Like

Probably a good idea. I havenā€™t looked at this code yet, but it would be more straightforward to look at v1 API calls than rack0.hpp calls.

1 Like

Yeah sorry wish I could help more. I just started and stopped rack 10 times with a network using your simple clock and min max and had no crashes or problems. :frowning:

1 Like

I think that fixed my issue. Not crashing on restart anymore. Now on to fixing UI issues. :smile:

2 Likes

I think the code in rack0.hpp is not thread safe. The deprecated version of createParam calls module->configParam from the ModuleWidget ctor. Iā€™ve been struggling for a few weeks to port my code to v1, because I misread Andrewā€™s migration guide and I was doing exactly the same thing. But it should be called from the Module ctor, and I suspect that its not safe to do it from the ModuleWidget. I was getting corruption of ParamQuantity such that itā€™s module pointer was garbage.

Go straight ahead and do the phase 2 migration, but read it thoroughly and do what it says.

I donā€™t think its a thread safety problem but an order-of-operation problem.

Module::configParam must be called before createParam; calling it afterwards allows ParamQuantity to point at deleted memory which may work by chance until the memory is reused.

You might be right.

Iā€™ve realised why I was doing it that way. I didnā€™t follow the phase 2 instructions for that part, because Iā€™d already dealt with the deprecation warnings. And to do that, Iā€™d simply replaced the deprecated call with exactly what rack0 does.

My fault: but if you are right, then rack0 can be fixed.

Similar issues with RJModules. Note, that RJModules is still using the compatibility header. I recommended updating to the full API.

I used the signal trap in Rack to extract a backtrace, but it just points to ParamWidget. This is on Windows 10. I cannot reproduce this on Linux.

[0.296 fatal src/main.cpp:40] Fatal signal 11. Stack trace:
22: ZN4rack10appDestroyEv 0x4561c5
21: gai_strerrorW 0x757ac0
20: _C_specific_handler 0x32f07fd0
19: _chkstk 0x332b4660
18: RtlWalkFrameChain 0x33213730
17: KiUserExceptionDispatcher 0x332b34c0
16: ZN4rack3app11ParamWidget4stepEv 0x498776
15: ZN4rack6widget6Widget4stepEv 0x4a6782
14: ZN4rack6widget6Widget4stepEv 0x4a6782
13: ZN4rack6widget6Widget4stepEv 0x4a6782
12: ZN4rack6widget6Widget4stepEv 0x4a6782
11: ZN4rack6widget6Widget4stepEv 0x4a6782
10: ZN4rack6widget6Widget4stepEv 0x4a6782
9: ZN4rack2ui12ScrollWidget4stepEv 0x4a265e
8: ZN4rack3app16RackScrollWidget4stepEv 0x48a890
7: ZN4rack6widget6Widget4stepEv 0x4a6782
6: ZN4rack3app5Scene4stepEv 0x4914a4
5: ZN4rack6Window3runEv 0x4587ca
4: main 0x7a01e0
3: main 0x7a01e0
2: main 0x7a01e0
1: BaseThreadInitThunk 0x328b7960
0: RtlUserThreadStart 0x3327a250

Hey all. As Christoph mentioned, Iā€™m having the same issue, tracked here: https://github.com/Miserlou/RJModules/issues/38 with a (mostly) workable repro.

Is there something I can check for in the step function to prevent this crash? I have too many modules to migrate everything to pure v1 without more effort that I can give, and Iā€™d like to develop new modules on v1 instead.

Also, hi!

I donā€™t believe thereā€™s anything you can check for. This was exactly the same kind of back trace that I got. On Linux.

If you havenā€™t time to do the complete migration, step 2.10 should fix this, and you can still keep using rack0.hpp afterwards.

1 Like

Iā€™ve posted an issue on github.

Hrm. Thanks.

$ a addParam | wc -l

Does anybody have a script or something for this? 202 parameters across 51 modulesā€¦ this is going to be incredibly tedious.

I donā€™t have a script, I had a similar number of params

• Edit each sources file
  • copy the createParam section.
  • change the method name in one copy
  • delete some parameters from one set
  • delete the other parameters from the other section
  • move the configParam section to the Module ctor.

The migration manual has some perl replacements that might help partway

Are you talking about Phase 2.10? There is a perl script in the writeup. https://vcvrack.com/manual/Migrate1.html

2 Likes