14 bit midi in 1.0?

well. don’t know. If a very good eurorack module, but it would not be a good thing to build into a controller. It’s basically a 32-bit PIC with a few channels of 16 bit A/D and D/A.

I’m not going to make a YT video. While it is possible to get successive readings moving in steps of 2 on [0, 2^14-1] that is super fiddly and doesn’t work out in a stable fashion. So yes, the effective resolution currently is lower. Perhaps this is because I’m not able to manage turning the pot (Song Huei RK1114N) in small enough movements (a bigger knob might help?) but probably also because everything is just on a breadboard atm.

One thing that is for sure: It’s much more pleasant controlling e.g. the frequency of a VCO with this setup. Changing the frequency of a VCO feels smooth rather than jumpy :slight_smile:

Yeah when it works it’s super smoothe… 10 bit are actually quite nice already… but even then I had to do a lot of smoothing and it might jump a bit sometimes just from moving my hand near a cable or from the (very cool) rgb leds I installed changing color…

I wish there was a solution with higher voltages, I imagine if the Teensy ran the ADC on 12V the fluctuations should be much smaller in comparison… I still wonder why no hardware manufacturer has come up with something really smooth, but seems it’s really not easy or too expensive.

As long as it’s just a few knobs 10bit should be no problem though, but I wanted a lot of knobs and then it got more and more unstable…

Dirty USB-Voltage is another big problem… so if you use a really stable DC-supply everything might get a lot better…

Did this get pushed out to the current release? I don’t see it in my menu. Or maybe the encoders on my device do not support 14-bit resolution …

If not, the slew limiting is an OK compromise.

1 Like

It is included in the current development build, it is not available in the version in the VCV Library yet.

1 Like

Quick writeup of using MIDI-CAT v1-dev with 14-bit hardware over here, to be supplemented in a new thread when I have a little more time to experiment. The upshot is that it works extremely well and is easy to set up.

2 Likes

Nice!!!

1 Like

I have been attempting to use both Stoermelder midi-cat (dev build) and Studio Six Plus One Zilah with Behringer BCR2000 which I edit with mountainutilities.eu

bcr nrpn message

for some reason which eludes me both modules pick up the controller as cc6 which then does work as 14 bit controller but when I try to assign other controllers with different nrpn address (cc99=22 in this case) they are also picked up as cc6 .(or as cc98 which is no good…)

what kind of message do both modules expect to be able to assign different nrpn addresses to different knobs and have them picked up like so ?

it may have been mentioned earlier in the thread but in a way too arcane for me .

I can only speak for Zilah, @stoermelder may have handled the case differently. The MIDI 1.0 spec allows for 14bit controllers, these are on cc-0 to cc-31 for the MSB, and CC 32,to 63 for the LSB. This gives a total of 32, 14 bit CC’s per midi channel.

So the first controller should be cc 0, 32, the second cc1,33

I hope this is of some help.

oh I see its midi cc 14 bit not nrpn 14 bit(at the BCR setup) , its working ! now I just need to figure out proper resolution (turn value).

many thanks for your kind support.

1 Like

Was the feature request accepted ?

Was the feature request submitted and accepted ?

I can only figure out how to do 7 bit in “CV > MIDI-CC” in Rack 2 [free|pro]

The MIDI CC to CV module now has an option in the right click menu for 14 bit MIDI messages.

Yes, I have added “CV > MIDI-CC”

1 Like

Hey there,

today I again setup a controller for sending 14bit values to the right endpoint, but do not had success again.

The controller is the BeatStep Pro, MIDI-CAT the receiver controlling a VCO frequency. Values from 0-127 in 7-bit are more coarse than turning that freq knob by mouse.

What I did… I mapped BSP knob 1 in MIDI-CAT and assign it to the VCO, this works fine in 7-bit CC.

If I turn on 14-bit for this in MIDI-CAT, VCO freq do not change anymore. So I close VCV and open Arturia MIDI Control Center and setup knob 1 to NRPN Mode with NRPN Option and LSB 6 and MSB 38 for CC06 MIDI-CAT receiving this knob.

A MIDI monitor receiving the 14-bit values from BSP, but VCO freq do not.

It’s awkward, I don’t know how to finally configure this, so I need to ask :confused:

Thanks ahead!

NRPN is not the same as 14-bit MIDI, these are two different „protocols“ within the specification.

1 Like

Hey Ben,

thank you for your respond.

Isn’t NRPN the only way (modern) midi controller expand the (regular) 0-127 range?

If I setup BSP in NRPN for the endless knob, MIDI-MON receives

cc6=[0-127] cc98=6 cc99=38   in a LSB=6 MSB=38 configuration.

MIDI-CAT forward this to the VCO, but only in 7-bit mode.

MIDI assignment after mapping mode is always cc06 for this knob, regardless BSP is in CC or NRPN mode.

But if this isn’t 7/14-bit mode in BSP(and others), what I not 100 percent know, OR/AND LSB and MSB values not calculated, I’m going a wrong way here. :slight_smile: … and it’s possible.

Would be really nice one can explain the setup he/she is using on whatever controller for transmitting 14-bit subdivisions to the corresponding modules.

Thank you so much for your very nice work on so many modules, Ben!

any of the first 32 controls can be optionally paired with a control offset 32 higher to give 14-bit control.

NRPN is an extension of that, where controller 99 - NRPN Most Significant Byte (MSB) - followed by 98 - NRPN Least Significant Byte (LSB) sent as a pair specify the parameter to be changed.

Instead of using NRPN, I use the “relative” mode of the BeatStep Pro - It has 3 different modes - I don’t remember which one I used in the VCV module by Stoermelder.

I don’t have a patch handy, but here’s one I posted earlier for the Ableton Push2, that shows the use of MIDI-STEP with PILE to control CV’s

EDIT:

Some DIY 14-bit midi controller links

Hey Jens Peter,

thanks for your respond and work too.

I do setup BSP in the past and right now again to compare the “relative” mode, but this is not interpreted as 14-bit in MIDI-CAT, which I like to use.

In “Relative #1” mode BSP transmit only 3 changes, 63-65, this is displayed in BSP and in MIDI-MON, and the assigned VCO freq knob in 7-bit mapping do only “rotate” +/-1 around 64 and do not respond in MIDI-CAT 14-bit setup, the BSP mode #2 and #3 do similar.

So my understanding is we need the usual 128 CCs *128 times to become that precise resolution… and we are done. :wink: But for this it is good to know how to setup that mystic MSB/LSB (LSB/MSB?) thing.

… what the relative modes in BSP really do is something I not use so far, only testing it, but it’s the same behave in software like VSTs.

… and sorry to all involved peoples, right now I see again it’s a long way subject.

I began too with the BCR2000 configuring this without susceptible third party software translating MSB/LSB in a 0-16.384 range, with no luck or good results today.

Would be nice taking care to other “things”, do not like stumble all the time with this. :wink:

cu

… and I would really like to have that 14-bit controller “thing”… currently it is essential to move the VCO freq knop with mouse to hear all the gradations… the mouse/usb/vcv “bus” is more sensitive than all endless controller in 7-bit.

… and I can’t use most of them extensive.